109 BA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm fairly new to this. I still dive a Mk5/109 set I bought new in 1978 as well as 4 other reg sets that I have to maintain, all Scubapro. Prior to the change, 10 of these statges were bought new, from an authorized dealer & had been serviced annually by that dealer for some years. Scubapro screwed me on all 10 stages, not one ended up being covered.

When I moved down here I found the 1 LDS in town, he has SP and services them. I ended up pay absolute top $$$$ to get 2 sets serviced & of the 2 he screwed up my primary, a G250V. I never took it back, nor have I ever set foot in that shop again. It turns out he has some rather insane policies regarding tanks, which ended up being strikes 2 & 3.

It resulted in me deciding that that jackass was never going to touch any of my gear again & taking a hard look at the numbers & I decided that I could spend about as much as an annual service for all 4 sets & have all the tools to do my own plus some of the service parts so it was game on.

I bought a used Mk5 and Mk10 to learn on, did those. Now I've done my 4 109/BA 2nds, 1 G250V and 1 more to go and am starting on my own 1st stages. I'm cleaning th 5 now, have a Mk2, Mk25 and Mk11 to go. I have kits for the 2 & 25 but not yet the 11.

I'm not keeping any of my plastic unbalanced 2nds. I still need 2 more 109's to swap out on my daughters set.

Mk5 is done, ready to dive.

Mk2 in the ultrasonic. It's not too bad, didn't get dove that much either but maybe more SW than the 5 saw. Super simple design.

You shouldn't have any trouble with the MK25 if you've done a MK 5 and MK10 successfully. Feel free to post any questions and you'll get lots of responses. It is really nice to have the correct o-ring/bushing insertion tool for the MK20/25. One tip for the MK25, clean and polish the piston dull edge very carefully and inspect it with a jewelers loupe. Any imperfection or foreign material and you will get some IP creep. Dog hair is especially effective at producing creep, no need to ask how I know that.

Those aftermarket balanced poppet seats will almost certainly work fine, but I suspect they are slightly different in thickness and hardness than the SP OEM seats. It shouldn't matter much. You might notice that tuning is a little less precise with them.

I have the o ring tool. Is the allen wrench size for the DIN adapter a 6mm? It feels like the right fit but it hasn't released yet & I don't want to put too much pressure on it without being sure of the tool size.

The critical step on the MK-20/25 is to make sure the bushings that fit on either side of the piston stem HP O-ring have the mold marks facing AWAY from the O-Ring. There is a correct side to those parts and an incorrect side.

Do you have the MK-20/25 service documentation?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom