109 getting a new lease on life after 30+ years dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm by no means a vintage buff, but I'm looking forward to finally diving with my "new" 109, which until this month had been stuck in a basement for over 30 years. I'd been kicking around the idea of getting it serviced and using it for the last few years (basically since I started thinking about buying my own gear) but was waiting for a good excuse to do it and a specific use for the reg in mind. The stars aligned earlier this month as I started contemplating putting together a sidemount rig (and needing a second reg set to do it) and my boss needing to find 4 MK5s and 8 109/156's for a project he was working on. Lent to him in pieces in a bag with a moldy diaphragm and returned serviced and upgraded... now I just have to figure out what 1st stage to put it on.

You have a great combo. I dive updated 109s with Mk5 and Mk10 first stages. I've used the 109s with more modern first stages, and saw no difference at all. the performance is all in that terrific second stage. All it asks is a steady supply of gas at an IP around 135 to 140.

I dived a G250/MK25 for the last 4 years, but recently switched to 109/MK5 rigs. I love them. I now have 4 109s, two of them actually 156s because I upgraded them with s-wing poppets and my other two are unbalanced with new duro poppets. Plus, and this might be the biggest benefit to me is that they are so easy to work on myself. No more bad service jobs by service techs who don't care about my gear as much as I care about my gear! Have fun with your 109.

Did my first dives with the reg today (attached to a mk25)... wow. Breathes really easily and goodbye dry mouth. :D

Any of the balanced piston SP 1st stages would be excellent with a converted 109. I like MK5s for several reasons, but I could see getting very attached to a MK20 with the composite piston; essentially a MK25 without the externally adjustable IP.

Whoops.....I mentioned a non-vintage regulator in the vintage forum, shame on me!

+1 for the MK20/MK25/109/156 combo, at the risk of being excommunicated.

I personally prefer a Conshelf (or Titan) first stage with my 109's, but that is just me...

:D

Back
Top Bottom