10yr old max dive per day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Austincreek

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

My son is 10 and he is working on his Junior OW cert.

When he is certified, how many dives a day is he allowed to do.

I am aware of the max 40 ft depth limit, but I cannot find any reference out there on what is the safe max number of five per day.

I will have an opportunity to visit Indonesia this coming summer. I want him to enjoy some easy dives, but if course safety is number one!

Thanks for all the input.

Pete

I'm in the same boat. I don't know the official answer, but my son has done 3 dives in a day with varying times between 35-55 minutes apiece.

During any course, the maximum number of training dives allowed per day is 3. As a certified diver however, it's really up to you. There is no official max number if divers are not actively taking part in a training course.

So it really comes down to common sense (which ironically in many cases does not seem to be that common!) and finding a balance regarding the ease of planning/logistics in terms of dive travel, where you/your son has plenty rest time between dives to refuel, re hydrate - and rewarm, depending on your environment. Pushing the no deco limits is highly unlikely in his case due to the imposed depth restrictions, so its more the physical and mental limits you need to consider when planning your trips. And it that respect you are likely to know his limits better than anyone else!

Diving in Indo is amazing, I'm sure he will enjoy the variety of marine life he'l see. The heat may burn him out a little more than usual though, and its easy to become dehyrated. Handy hint: take some electrolite sachets out with you on the boat to bump up your hydration and energy levels.

Happy dive travels :)

What does your chosen agency say? I believe the limit on 40' pretty much defines the number of dives you can do based on any of the dive planning slates.... if diving a computer I would just set it to max conservancy... The physics are the same with out reference to age, I think the selection of 40' is a matter of limiting the effects. Just my opinion.

Tim

Factors for the number of dives include all of the following: Maintaining safe limits with proper surface intervals; staying appropriately hydrated ( lots of dives means loss of loss of moisture from mouth breathing; fatigue; and conditions. The most dives I have ever done in a day on a liveaboard was 5. The most on a day boat was four; and I have done four shore dives in a day. The dive durations vary up to an hour or so. That's a lot of diving for me. Others may have done more in a day, but those have been my limits.
DivemasterDennis

without wanting to spoil your game
as long as he is not fully grown I would be very concerned about bubbles in the epiphyseal plate

I found my grandson was really only good for two maybe three dives average per day during a week long dive trip.

The little guys are pushing around a lot of weight for their size. Fins that fit them are not as good as those we use. They just get tired unless you really slow it down and stick to a very small area.

The real answer is nobody knows for sure. The current recommendations for Junior OW divers are based on theoretical concerns regarding immature physiology and possible effects on the growth plates. As a general rule you want to be more conservative in regards to depth, time, and nitrogen loading. That would include fewer dives for the day. If you kid behaves even closely to my kid three dives is a lot for the day. My 13 has never done 3 dives in a day even when she had the opportunity for more. She basically stops a 2 dives, then says she's had enough.

whatever gets them in bed by 9:00.:coffee:....

Seriously, their not likely to hold up for much......

The real answer is nobody knows for sure. The current recommendations for Junior OW divers are based on theoretical concerns regarding immature physiology and possible effects on the growth plates. As a general rule you want to be more conservative in regards to depth, time, and nitrogen loading. That would include fewer dives for the day. If you kid behaves even closely to my kid three dives is a lot for the day. My 13 has never done 3 dives in a day even when she had the opportunity for more. She basically stops a 2 dives, then says she's had enough.

I am going conservative for sure. I'm working with the dive master there to ensure things are setup safely come summer time. We already agree on picking easy dive sites, he is setting up dive guide that is an instructor. Also, he said he will not do 3 dives for my son.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom