12 boys lost in flooded Thai cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found a picture of one of the divers on his way to the celebration:

superman-true-brit_2576378b.jpg

Aside from the 2 British divers who initially found the boys, have there been any reports on the identities of the 18 international cave diving experts that came to assist with the rescue mission? Haven't been able to find any information about the rest of the international team, aside from the Australian cave diving doctor.

Finnish instructor Mikko Paasi was one of the guys in the extraction team

Related - Dr Richard Harris's father passed away a few minutes after his son was the last man out - just before the pump broke.

If we're going to cast characters for the movie I vote an Aussie actor (we do have some good ones, just like we have some quiet experts) play Dr Harris part without the Navy Seals and Coke cans and love story. Reality would be preferable. Bryan Brown could pull this role off if a movie is ever made.

Casting Tom Hanks even though I do like his acting would cause an uproar - We Aussies are already calling for Dr Harris to be awarded Australian of the year. I can't think of a more deserving recipient.

ETA there were also 9 AFP Divers in there too along with the other internationals. This article has some good info including Richards diving partner - a Perth vet. ‘Mission possible’ as all 12 boys and coach freed in ‘miracle’ rescue | PerthNow

Last edited:
Apologies if this isnt appropriate to as here, hiwever, I was wondering (i know nothing about cave diving) if the rescue divers were on rebreathers, how come there is so much set up with the placing of stage/bail out cylinders (i don't know if thats what they were for) through the cave? Could someone explain what these are used for?
Is this just in case of equipment failure?
Sorry if this is a stupid question.

There is absolutely no need for a crappy Hollywood movie. A thoughtful, well shot documentary will be much more iinteresting and pay homage to the true heroes. Not some overpaid wank!

if the rescue divers were on rebreathers, how come there is so much set up with the placing of stage/bail out cylinders (i don't know if thats what they were for) through the cave? Could someone explain what these are used for?
I'd guess:

1. We still don't know how many of the rescue divers were on RBs. Some of them may have opted for OC, for various reasons.
  2. It's extremely unlikely that all the support divers were RB certified, and I for one would never have used a machine¹ that I haven't been trained on in a rescue scenario.
  3. Even if all divers were RB certified, it's almost as unlikely that they could have sourced enough RBs for everybody.

¹ A machine which, IMNSHO, should be treated with extreme respect because it'll do its very best to try to kill you whenever it gets a chance

Agreed. Musk might be a smart guy, but he is also a narcissistic guy with a huge ego that thinks he can solve anything. However, in this case, it seems pretty damn clear that his sub would not be a good fit to navigate the restrictions and the approach actually used worked magnificently!

Apologies if this isnt appropriate to as here, hiwever, I was wondering (i know nothing about cave diving) if the rescue divers were on rebreathers, how come there is so much set up with the placing of stage/bail out cylinders (i don't know if thats what they were for) through the cave? Could someone explain what these are used for?
Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Some of the western divers were asked about their shoulder width, such was the tightness of at least one of the restrictions

I "know" that some of the UK divers would have taken their basic harness which is just used to clip off cylinders, they favour Poseidon Cyklon 5000 Regulator because their bullet proof and can withstand being beaten about in a cave.

Also they might not have used a wing bladder, the depth of the some of underwater sections might just have been that it was an underwater scramble over rocks where they might even take off their fins so they can use their feet.

In the location where gear like helmets being shared because there was a lack of supplies, the availability of Sorb might have been an issue that might make a RB less than ideal

I would guess that robust and reliable suitable for the conditions and the environment was the name of the game.

But I'm sure we'll find out more as more info filters down in the futuer

Certainly the team will pass on all they learnt to cave community, what worked and what didn't in due course so that others may benefit. From there the rest of us will find out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom