12 boys lost in flooded Thai cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Potentially even more stupid reply than normal and I’ve never used a FFS but wonder whether they used duct tape or similar to avoid masks get dislodged in constrictions?

Keeping those masks on and not flooding must have been a significant concern (guessing obviously).

I thought heard on a recent TV hour long recap that the FFM was at positive pressure to lessen the likely hoods of leaks. Not sure it this is true or possible as I have no experience with them.

Was this Jull Heinerth video posted here already?

Accomplished as may be... I am not quite sure what to think of expert explanations of experts who weren't there... I watched at 1.5x speed

Good synopsis of the event. Thanks for posting it.

Was this Jull Heinerth video posted here already?

Accomplished as may be... I am not quite sure what to think of expert explanations of experts who weren't there... I watched at 1.5x speed
It's a geared for non cave/sump trained OW divers to help explain what happened. I thought it was a bit long but very good overall.

Jill is an awesome individual with a LOT of expererience and serious accomplishments. She is also personal friends with some of those involved and sincerely one of the nicest people of had the pleasure of meeting. I encourage everybody to look up her other works.

@dant - exactly, the dosage must have been perfect so they weren't comatose zombies but...comfortably numb.

One of the rescue diver, Jason Mallinson, had to re-administer injection of Ketamine (a job he has never done it before) on the boy, as the boy began to wake up & moved his hands around. Scary situation.

One of the rescue diver, Jason Mallinson, had to re-administer injection of Ketamine (a job he has never done it before) on the boy, as the boy began to wake up & moved his hands around. Scary situation.

It's been very interesting to me to see how cagey the Thai authorities were to discuss whether the boys were drugged. I suppose if they'd admitted in advance the plan was to knock them out and something had gone wrong, they'd have been blamed for incapacitating the boys. But it seems clear in the end that the ketamine was a phenomenal idea.

Gotta laugh, as knowing a couple of the lead Ozzie divers personally, one very very well - but not having spoken to them at the time - I predicted back on page 30 that we would probably find they would use "unconventional methods" to get the boys out. And they sure did! What-a-rescue!!!!

12 boys lost in flooded Thai cave

Last edited:
"It’s been one month since two Australian divers risked their lives to assist in the international rescue of a Thai football team. Now, Craig Challen and Richard Harris take the plunge into their first dive with their mates since those dramatic events"

'Gliding weightlessly through space': Dive with our Thai cave heroes

@Jay_Antipodean Thanks for linking that piece. Others can correct me, but I didn't notice any exaggerations, accuracies, or obvious dumming-down. Just some nice quotes overlaid on some nice video loops of cave diving.
The connection to the Thai rescue is tangential, but a nice piece none-the-less.

Reactions: Jay
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom