12 days around Tulamben and/or somewhere else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stepfen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everybody.

I know the topic has probably been discussed maybe 100s of times already but the information is scattered over multiple posts hence it is not very helpful.

I just fount out that I will have 12 nights for a solo diving trip from the 13th of March. Traveling to/from Jakarta has to be included in these days.

First a bit of background: I do and enjoy macro photography, but I also enjoy the usual reef/wall dives. Not particularly crazy about pelagics unless the chances of seeing them are high. For example I wouldn't like to do an 1 hour blue water dive looking for mola mola (I think March is not their season anyway). Another "problem" is that I prefer nice relaxed and slow dives rather than dives with strong current or chasing guides. It is not I won't dive strong currents at all, but currents make me stressed and I prefer more relaxed things.

Here is my background from diving in Indo:
- 3 dives just after OW in Padang Bai area (Blue Lagoon, Jepung and a wall nearby). I remember I was not particularly impressed but that's probably because I was a total newbie paired with too high expectations
- 15dives/5 days in Bunaken
- about 45 dives/3 weeks over 2 trips in RA land based
- about 25 dives/1 week in Ambon

Due to my dislike for high currents I think it is better to leave Komodo for later. Hence I was thinking to spend the whole time in Bali. Rough plan is to spend most of the time (a full week or so) around Tulamben and for the rest move to Padang Bai and NL/NP.

What do you people think?? Any alternatives or better plans ??

Also any suggestions for low(er) budget accommodation (for example I can live with no AC) and diving operators/guides are welcome.

I've been to Bali few times hence I am not interested much for top side activities other than good food, a stroll around, some massage, few bintangs here and there and such.

Thanks a lot in advance.

I forgot to mention: I've had a look for Liberty resort that seems to be favored the most here in SB but it looks fully booked for these days and I have also heard good words for Utama Village. Anything else?

I have no idea for accommodation/ operators in Padang Bai.

Tulamben : other than LDR and Utama villas Tulamben Dive Resort is Liberty's sister resort they often share the same guides.
Padang Bai : my suggestion is to stay at Puri Rai and dive with Geko divers
A lot of divers dive Komodo they're not all masochistic, if asking to dive guide, he won't take you to currenty dives, there are sheltered spots and conditions where you don't find current. Komodo is so beautiful in terms of corals it would be a shame to miss it. After more than 200 dives i think it is time to enjoy a bit of current too, when you're not finning against, it can be enjoyable; i'd suggest you go diving Nusa Penida north coasr with the guys from Gecko then Komodo

Thanks Luko, great advice as always.

About Komodo in March I read that mostly they do the southern part with LoBs where I'd have to stick with the mass.

Is it possible to enjoy Komodo in March land based? Also being last moment, for sure my options will be very limited

Thanks

BTW I just fount out that the 25th of March - the day I was supposed to fly back to Jakarta - is the Nyepi holiday and especially in Bali EVERYTHING (even Denpasar airport) is closed. So, if I go to Bali I have one day less.

I am also considering alternatives, for example I have fount few available options for mid range Komodo LoB.

Change of plans. A friend of mine is joining. So now the plan is we stay 3-4 days in Bali (probably just Tulamben) to get over jet lag and for few dives, then move to Komodo for a low budget 6N/7D LoB (probably Shenron - anybody heard of it??? ). Then back to Jakarta for a couple of days/nights (I have in-laws etc to see there) and then catch the flight back home.

It will be his first time in Indonesia so we will spend some time sightseeing etc especially in Bali. Around Tulamben probably there is not much to see - but we might do a day tour on the last day or on the way to the airport or so.

Thanks anyway for all the info.

That's Dragon Dive's budget/dorm second liveaboard.
Yoshi the initial liveaboard that some members used the past two years has been revamped, it's now a 8 divers 3 cabins/1 suite liveaboard (going on 23 march for South Komodo... where I'll be).

Agreed there's not much to see in Tulamben however you may hire a driver to ride around for a day, time see some cultural highlights.
I REALLY recommend you spend the last night and the part of the day before flying in Ubud, anyway it will be closer to the airport than Tulamben.

That's Dragon Dive's budget/dorm second liveaboard.
Yoshi the initial liveaboard that some members used the past two years has been revamped, it's now a 8 divers 3 cabins/1 suite liveaboard (going on 23 march for South Komodo... where I'll be).

Agreed there's not much to see in Tulamben however you may hire a driver to ride around for a day, time see some cultural highlights.
I REALLY recommend you spend the last night and the part of the day before flying in Ubud, anyway it will be closer to the airport than Tulamben.

We'll probably be there on the 18th. Almost. Maybe there will be time for a bintang and/or nasi goreng or something (on us of course) on the 24th ??? I'll keep you informed once things are settled.

Thanks also for the tip about Ubud. We are considering it.

We'll probably be there on the 18th. Almost. Maybe there will be time for a bintang and/or nasi goreng or something (on us of course) on the 24th ??? I'll keep you informed once things are settled.

Thanks also for the tip about Ubud. We are considering it.
On the 23rd I'll be somewhere in the south of Rinca, 24th as well as the liveaboard is leaving on 23rd.
21st and 22nd we'll be overnighting in LBJ .

Back
Top Bottom