1225 U Yoke Adapter Specs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flashnick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I recently had my father's old Poseidon reg set serviced up and brought back to life. Consists of a 2305 first stage and a pair of Cyklon 300s. During the service the tech mentioned that the original 1225 U Yoke adapter that was attached was only rated too 200bar. Trying to find some documentation on that to confirm specs, but am coming up with nothing. I've got other, newer adapters for use until I can confirm for certain. Any information or leads would be appreciated.

The amount of thread on a yoke adapter is the same on all the adapters I have seen. That being said do you realise that 200 bar is 3000psi. (Actually 2900psi) All the higher pressure cylinders should be using the DIN connection. There is a difference in the DIN for 200 versus 300 bar. The cyklon 300 was a 200 bar unit unless the DIN section was changed. 300 bar DIN has a much longer threaded section. You can use a 300 bar DIN on a 200 bar DIN valve but not the reverse as the 200 will not engage the oring face of the valve being too short to bottom out.

The yoke was never designed for 300 bar use. (300 bar is 4350psi) It will work on a 3500 psi cylinder even though it is beyond its design limits. (You can expect higher o-ring failure)

The amount of thread on a yoke adapter is the same on all the adapters I have seen. That being said do you realise that 200 bar is 3000psi. (Actually 2900psi) All the higher pressure cylinders should be using the DIN connection. There is a difference in the DIN for 200 versus 300 bar. The cyklon 300 was a 200 bar unit unless the DIN section was changed. 300 bar DIN has a much longer threaded section. You can use a 300 bar DIN on a 200 bar DIN valve but not the reverse as the 200 will not engage the oring face of the valve being too short to bottom out.

The yoke was never designed for 300 bar use. (300 bar is 4350psi) It will work on a 3500 psi cylinder even though it is beyond its design limits. (You can expect higher o-ring failure)

Yes I realize that the DIN is the proper connection for a 300 bar tank. I was in no way planning on using any yoke on a 300 bar tank. My question stemmed more from the lack of information I've been able to track down on this specific piece. My other DIN to Yoke adapters are stamped with their ratings 232 bar and 3500psi respectively. This one just displays a model number.

I'm not too concerned with telling my local shops to just fill to 2800 for safety sake, but on a boat in Turks a few weeks ago I hooked into 4 supplied tanks and they all had 3200 - 3300. I realize that probably wouldn't be an issue for the 5-7 seconds it took me realize the pressure, and sure I could bleed off 400 psi for safety sake as soon as I realized it if I wanted to dive that tank for some reason. But, I'm going to be traveling to some of my Dad's favorite dive sites he told me about growing up and would like to have the rig with me in as original condition as possible for sentimental sake. So if I could find out its rated for 232 bar instead of 200 bar that'd be great. If not, like I said its no big deal, I've got other options.

I wouldn't bother to bleed of the cylinder. If it has a good o-ring it will be fine. It is going to fail it will generally be within a minute ir so. Beside when you dive it will decrease soon enough with just breathing the gas. The higher pressures just stress it more. Remember that there are design factor safety margins involved. We (divers) have been using the yoke fitting for eons and cylinders regularly exceed 207 bar, just with temperature swings. So, don't worry about it. In the old days manufacturers didn't have to follow all the labelling requirements we have today.

Even if the o ring extrudes out it is not a catastrophic event, though it may sound like it. You will have time to abort the dive. Just get in the habit of looking at the o ring and its condition in any case and you will be fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom