$159 and how I learned that diving is not for me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HKMP5N

Reaction score
This is my first post on scubaboards after lurking and learning for several months.

I completed my confined water dive # 2 in the pool this week and came to the realization of the fact that diving is not for me. As an intro, I am a native Floridian and have spent most of my life boating, swimming, snorkeling and even scuba diving with experienced buddies in shallower depths off my boat and in the springs across FL. I did a PADI dive with an instructor in Puerto Rico descending to 60 feet or so and had an awesome experience. I consider myself assured and confident in most undertakings, sporting a cool head and having a reasonable modicum of intelligence.

I decided to go ahead and do the OW cert after securing a committed and capable buddy in my cousin. Together, we went to our local LDS/PADI center which is a large multi-state chain store. After hearing the sales person’s views on everything SCUBA, we decided to enroll in PADI OW and get it done while the Gulf of Mexico is still bathwater warm. In retrospect I will tell you that after leaving the store and contemplating my decision on the drive home I was struck with a lack 100% confidence in the LDS I had entrusted my training to. Something just didn’t click with these folks but I shrugged it off as nervous anticipation to what the training experience would entail.

I will make a statement regarding Night #1 in the classroom with my instructor and leave it at that. My instructor did a few things that evening while not dive related, demonstrated poor judgment to me in more than one circumstance. This affected my confidence in him to make the right decision at depth. Whether my impression of this man is right or wrong it is still my impression. The ride home that night left me more apprehensive than before about my choice of dive educators. I should have bowed out at that point but I persisted on. There is more regarding my follow up to the LDS manager about the instructor but I do not want to waste bandwidth or disparage the LDS, I wish simply relate the story which happened to me.

The first night in the pool went fine and we were zipping around with neutrally buoyant ease. All the first night pool requirements were easily met and we were off to classroom night #2. The douse in the chlorine must have diluted the boredom of our instructors cave and near death exploits because we zipped right through the required videos and lecture for class #2.

Confined water dive #2 came 2 nights later with the excitement that only a new diver can have. We dove right in and did the prerequisite distance swim and float. We then donned our gear and giant strode into 12 feet of water to run through more instruction and drills. Now mind you his instruction pretty much consists of: watch me do it while submerged, now do it, which to now has been fine. Then, we got to mask replacement. Down we went for the watch me session. Instructor does it. Signals to my buddy who does it, but with a certain degree of difficulty. Instructor signals to me and across the bottom I scoot. I wear contact lenses and until now, in 30 years of snorkeling and a few scuba dives, have never had my mask off with a regulator/snorkel in my mouth. Flooding and clearing the mask was not a problem before and I regularly swim underwater with my eyes open, high dive into the water etc., again no problemo.

Two things my instructor told me raced though my head as I reached up to pull my mask off in twelve feet of water 1) I wear contacts, so keep your eyes closed. 2) His students do not dart for the surface if in trouble. In class he told us with bravado how he forcefully held students down from bolting. He now signaled for me to take my mask off, as he held tightly to my BCD. I closed my eyes, pulled of the mask and for the first time ever experienced breathing without the mask. In the darkness I went into immediate sensory overload and stress. I did not anticipate or expect what the feeling would be like and choked on water rushing down my sinuses. I struggled in survival mode in the blackness waiting for my instructor’s tug on my BCD allowing me to replace my mask. After what seemed like an eternity and convinced I was drowning, I struggled to get my mask back on and successfully cleared. He shook my hand and motioned me over beside my buddy which I did choking and still gasping in my regulator. As the instructor moved onto the next student, I kneeled next to my buddy and came to an immediate conclusion that DIVING IS NOT FOR ME and how I would let my buddy down by wussing out. I managed to stay submerged and make an orderly ascent. When I surfaced, I went straight to the side of the pool and began to shake uncontrollably. Of course, I did not want to be the only wussola in a class of 4 guys so at my instructors urging I donned my mask and re-inflated my BCD to rejoin the rest of the floating class.

The instructor then told us we were now going down, taking off the mask and swimming with our buddy without the mask, then replace/clear and switch roles. My mind was racing and I made the statement out loud “I didn’t do to well on the mask removal thing and I needed to practice a bit in shallow water.” I was told we were not going into the shallow water and to get ready to submerge. Again, letting the almighty ego win over common sense I began to descend. At about 5 feet “freakout” city ensued and back to the surface I came. The fear was indescribable. The only time I have ever felt that scared, was the unfortunate time I was forced to draw a firearm in defense of my family. (I did not have to shoot, thank God). The class went on with the remainder of the session. As I floated alone on my BCD while they finished the class, I contemplated how I was a not cut out for diving, having just had my steel tested at 12 feet and failing miserably. I took the gear off and left.

The whole event, a continuous sense of dread and the issue of what to do has been heavy on my mind over the past days. Being a man of considerable constitution, and coming from stock that believes you must overcome and control your fears, I headed for my brother-in-law’s pool and regulator/tank set up to practice after work today. Convinced I was going to conquer the demon of mask removal or drown trying, I suited up. I swam underwater in the backyard pool thinking and dwelling on how fooked I would be were I to loose my mask at depth on an OW dive. I could not overcome these thoughts and the shallow dive was not fun. Without contacts, so I could try it with my eyes open, I kneeled in 4 feet of water and tried repeatedly to breathe sans mask without success, still inhaling a lot of water.

Dejected and disappointed I realized that while I once dove in the safety and comfort of experienced friends in the open ocean and having sailed through every other in water skill test, dive table and requirement, my mask is not coming off. Because of this I will not achieve Open Water certification, have lost all confidence to deal with such an emergency and am thereby relegated to the limits of the snorkel. Monday I will drop off the loaner gear to the LDS and simply not return, having learned diving is not for me for $159, the cost of a PADI OW session. It is better to have learned in 12 feet of swimming pool rather than 40 or 50 feet below the Gulf on our open water dives next weekend.

Without getting into the details of how vastly different my classes are from what you describe, the basic problem of sucking water up the nose is a common one, and thousands upon thousands of scuba students have overcome it in the past. You almost certainly can too, should you want to.
I do suggest a change in venue.
Rick

You're correct - diving isn't for everyone. If you don't WANT to learn to dive, you shouldn't. No matter what anyone says. It's like calling a dive - no excuses or explanations are required. This rule, by the way, particularly applies to training dives.

Rick is correct - the problems you encountered (including knucklehead instructors) are common, nearly universal. They can usually be overcome by desire and determination.

When you're deciding on training, remember that the most important factor isn't the agency or the shop or the money, it's the instructor. It kind of sounds like you found a shop and a price that you liked and settled for that. If so, ooooops!

Hope you decide to take a breather and then give it another whack, maybe in a one-on-one situation with an instructor that you're more comfortable with.

If scuba isn't for you, that's okay, life will continue. At least that's what I'm told.:)

Steven

The guys are right...EVERYONE more or less does a double-take the first time they are asked to breath under water without a mask. Humans don't normally do that...fish do that...so its natural for us to be taken a bit aback.

If you don't want to dive, hey...no problem. If you do want to, however, might I suggest two things that might get you back on track.

One. You said you were a snorkeller and had access to a pool. Try standing in the pool with just a snorkel and no mask...you'll be able to lower your head gradually into the pool and lift it up and out when it becomes uncomfortable...if you can learn to breath with a snorkel and no mask I think you'll be able to breath with a regulator and no mask.

Two. Get a different LDS. If they're not sensitive to the fact that are not comfortable or are having problems, you don't want to be training with them. There are enough people in FL from this board that I am sure you can get a good recommendation from someone.

Again, if you don't want to dive...then don't. If you want to, the problems you are talking about are very surmountable.

IMHO,
Matt

Well thought out writing.
I admire your decision and understand how you reached that conclusion. It's good that you were able to realize that in a controlled environment.
Maybe down the road you'll want to try it again. I agree that you may want to consider one-on-one instruction.
Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Larry

I can help... and it won't cost you anything. I live in Altamonte Springs (Orlando area) and have helped quite a few people through quite a few phobias... It's ALL in doing it gradually. PM if you are interested. I will provide all the gear, except for mask/snorkle/fins/wet suit... I will even provide some "calm" for your nerves (no, not drugs).

If you have scuba dived without instruction and did fine, then there is no reason that instruction should scare the trunks off of you. You have been scared by being put into a stressful situation WITHOUT the proper preliminaries. It's not YOUR fault!!! I leave the testosterone out of teaching... if you want to overcome it, I will most gladly help you do that.

I had some problems with taking the regulator out and buddy breathing. Required to get ow certification I was ow certified in 1994 with my husband. We didn't know it at the time, but he had a brain tumor. There were 2 incidents where in buddy breathing my husband almost drowned me. Not on purpose, but in hindsight I see that he was not in a normal state of mind at the time. Once was in the pool so I could stand up and breathe. The other was in the ow certification dives. In both instances he put the regulator in my mouth upside down flooding the water and holding it there instead of letting me hold it. In the ow the instructor saw this and sent my husband to wait and he completed the buddy breathing with me and the certification was done. I carried a great fear of buddy breathing with me. My husband died the next year and I didn't dive again until this Year. Since it had been so long I decided to get re-certified. In the ow buddy breathing this year which included new gear (was unfamiliar with) first cold water dive and low visibility conditions, I panicked and refused to do it. An instructor in training apparently didn't believe me and insisted I go away from the group so he and I could complete the buddy breathing part. I just called off the dive. In no circumstances will I put myself in danger to make an instructor feel successful in his job. It was not about him. After the dive was aborted and we were back on the boat, he softened and said that I did do some things very well and I shouldn't feel bad. In no way did I feel bad since I had nothing to prove to him or anyone else. If I am going to participate in scuba diving with it's inherent risks, I am always going to err on the side of caution. I want to live to dive another day, so to speak. Funny, his instructor (a former Navy Seal) critiqued him harshly for trying to make a student do something that he/she was uncomfortable with. The other students may have thought I was a fraidy cat, but I was able to work on this and do it at a time and place more comfortable for me. If you can get an instructor who is patient and works with you, you may be able to enjoy diving. After all, I assume when you decided to get certified you wanted to do enjoyable diving. It is possible to come back from a bad experience, but I still do not like to take my regulator out of my mouth and have not done it in recreational diving. Since June this year , I have enjoyed over 60 dives in comfort. Good luck if you decide to try again. Sorry this is so long...you touched a sor spot with me and I hope instructors can relate back to when they first started. Amen

Actually, it sounds as if diving is for you. Teaching isn't for the incompetent "instructor" with whom you dealt.

Unfortunately, the majority of instructors are incompetent, IMHO. You need to excercise more care in choosing one to teach you to dive. I know several excellent instructors around the state and will be happy to help you locate someone to assist you in learning to dive. Pete is an excellent choice. His methods differ slightly from mine, but his methods are sound and he is a patient instructor.

I believe most classes are too rushed, I see no reason to put students on SCUBA right away. Most are not ready for it. I believe you should master no mask breathing prior to using SCUBA.

You can also work on the problem of no mask breathing on your own, but you'll be better off with a competent instructor.

Take your time and practice each step until you are comfortable before moving to the next.

Leave your SCUBA gear in your bag. You only need 3 things at the pool at this point. 1. Mask 2. Snorkel 3. Weight belt with weight.

At no point will you leave the shallow end of the pool.

Take your snorkel off your mask and put on your weight belt. With your mask on the pool deck, your snorkel in your hand and your weight belt on, get into the shallow end of the pool. You should be where when you stand you are no deeper than chest deep, waist deep is even better. Put your snorkel in your mouth and breathe from it. Now, bend over and breathe through your snorkel while you dip your face into the water. If you are comfortable, stay awhile until you feel natural. If you have difficulty, think about drinking through a straw while you practice the excercise. Remember, you can always stand up straight to end the excercise at any time. If you need to, you can slowly build up your time until you feel comfortable.

Next, practice dropping underwater, allowing the snorkel to flood and coming up to blast it clear, leaving your face in the water. Continue until you are comfortable

At this point, you have accomplished three important things.

1. You lowered your anxiety level by working in a no risk (shallow) environment.
2. You became an expert in no mask breathing.
3. You know you can breathe with a flooded mask.

Now, put your snorkel down and pick up your mask. Put it on and drop down to your knees. Break the seal just enough to allow a small amount of water in. Clear the mask. Do not pull out on the bottom, merely push in on the top while looking up. The biggest mistake most people make is not looking up. The second most common mistake people make is not exhaling through their nose. Keep your mouth closed. Repeat this until you are comfortable. Don't forget to stand up and catch your breath between clearings. Now, increase the amount of water you allow into the mask to about ¼ flooded. When you are comfortable with that level, move to ½, then to a fully flooded mask. When you've reached the point you can clear it easily every time, see how many times you can clear it on one breath. After you are at this point, clearing your mask will be easy. You will have reached it in a step by step manner that was easy to accomplish.

Remember, you can always stand up if you feel uncomfortable.

If you decide to try it again, get a new instructor. A friend of mine had difficulty with mask clearing .... but her instructor spent a good hour with her working on it and she can do it fine now. Maybe you should go for a one-on-one session.

BTW, I like King Kong Matt's suggestion. Do the snorkel breathing, sans mask, because it should be similar.

HKMP5N once bubbled...
I am a native Floridian and have spent most of my life boating, swimming, snorkeling and even scuba diving with experienced buddies in shallower depths off my boat and in the springs across FL. I did a PADI dive with an instructor in Puerto Rico descending to 60 feet or so and had an awesome experience. I consider myself assured and confident in most undertakings, sporting a cool head and having a reasonable modicum of intelligence.

I find it odd that you were not feeling comfortable enough underwater to do a mask clearing without problems. Perhaps diving is not for you and maybe it is something you should not consider pursuing, regardless of what others here say.

While the problems you are having can most certainly be overcome, I could not imagine what your reaction would be to a real problem at depth.

My wife had similiar issues when we went for our OW together. Her biggest fear was drowning and the thaught of swallowing water freaked her out. She had a very difficult time doing buddy breathing and mask clearing. She ultimately passed the classroom and pool work. She did 2 OW dives in Jamaica and had a blast, but when it came time to do the excersises again in the open water, she began to become very uncomfortable again. Needless to say, I am now AOW and she is not certified.

If you continue to try, good luck, but if you decide to quite now I would not worry and just continue to enjoy what you have fun doing already. Diving is supposed to be fun and if you are to uncomfortable at depth, you can't be having fun.

--MichaelG

Back
Top Bottom