16-17 March: Lake Phoenix Clean Attractions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barnaby'sDad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is anyone planning on going? I'm thinking about running down there on Saturday if I can find a buddy.

Clean attractions and we supply the air and entrance for you and divebuddy. We are looking fro some assistance in maintaining some of our underwater items. This is your opportunity to come and enjoy a day of diving while helping maintain your favorite dive location. Those assisting will enjoy lunch on us

Wish I had found out about this earlier, I've already got my weekend booked up. Maybe ask on the facebook page? They can probably hook you up with a buddy when you get there...

Sean, good call. I'll give that a try.:cheers:

@Sean Walberg...Buddy Dive Day at Millbrook 3/23 (next Saturday), if you're interested. I'm planning on getting there early.

@Barnaby'sDad, are you still planning on going Saturday? If so, what time frame?

Hi- I'm Cali by the way. I just moved to Virginia last month. I'm a diver for NOAA.

This is a little bit of a hike for me (~2 hours) but I need the dive so I'm willing to drive.

Hi Cali,

I’m still planning on heading down Saturday if I can find a buddy.

I am thinking about driving down the night before (it’s almost 3 hours for me), camping, roll out of bed in the morning, and hit the water.

I will have to call later today and see if that is even an option for this weekend. As far as when I was hoping to hit the water...hopefully shortly after they open (0900).

John

Cool, I think I can swing 0900, I'd just have to leave my house around 0630 or so. Any idea what the cleaning/maintenance entails? I've done some aquarium maintenance dives but I haven't been to this dive site (obviously, since I've only been here a month haha).

Cool, I think I can swing 0900, I'd just have to leave my house around 0630 or so. Any idea what the cleaning/maintenance entails? I've done some aquarium maintenance dives but I haven't been to this dive site (obviously, since I've only been here a month haha).

When I asked, they said "just normal dive stuff. we have brushes." You don't have to bring anything special and we'll be scrubbing algae off things such as the dive training platforms.

You'll need to complete the waiver online and watch their brief introductory video.

Be sure to complete your smart waiver ahead of time!

Lake Phoenix in Rawlings, VA. Downloads

I've only dived there once (for my OW class). I've been looking forward to getting back down there.

Done and done, thanks for the info! Any idea what kind of water temps we're looking at?

Their website shows "~48* - ~ bottom." From talking with people that dive there frequently, the impression that I've gotten is that they only track the surface temperature.

When I was there in the fall, there was a pretty noticeable thermocline around 30'-35'. I'm not sure how noticeable it would be this time of year. ex. I hit Millbrook Quarry back in November and there was a ~5* drop from the surface to 50'.

A good amount of the attractions are fairly shallow, so I don't expect there to be much of a temperature swing over the course of the dive(s) on Saturday. I'll be diving with a 5mm wetsuit. While I'm fairly cold tolerant, I don't know if I'll be jumping at the opportunity for a second dive in ~48* water, lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom