16 and scubadiving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Youre kidding right? Dont tell me you took that as an offense, it was a joke.
If you cant handle a joke then dont even reply to this post.

In no way did i mean to piss anyone off, Im sorry

Also, I know that i have to learn from the wiser and older.

Both my diving teachers are in their 50s and they are who i feel safest with, once again it was a joke and i didn't expect some people to react in such a manner. My complete respect goes out to the older people.
Oh and just like you dont appreciate being called an old bugger, Id like it if you dont call me a "kid". Thanx

Hi Collin:
First, you'll notice my reply was made to the other guy, not you, although I did steal the "old bugger" line... and yes, I do realize that you were kidding... I don't get the idea that he was, however... I'm sure he'll correct me if I am mistaken...

And hey, it's just a fact of life: I'm old enough to be your mom. You'll always be a kid to me, even when you're 45. :)

Good luck with your OW!

ScubaCollin once bubbled...
Youre kidding right? Dont tell me you took that as an offense, it was a joke.
If you cant handle a joke then dont even reply to this post.

In no way did i mean to piss anyone off, Im sorry

Also, I know that i have to learn from the wiser and older.

Both my diving teachers are in their 50s and they are who i feel safest with, once again it was a joke and i didn't expect some people to react in such a manner. My complete respect goes out to the older people.
Oh and just like you dont appreciate being called an old bugger, Id like it if you dont call me a "kid". Thanx

Sorry about that. I need to learn to shut my mouth. I think he might also just be fooling around. Could be wrong.

My son started diving at age 12. The minimum age that is acceptable depends a lot on the maturity of the kid.

I don't mind diving with young divers as long as they do not have an attitude where they are trying to prove something. Of course you can say the same thing about public saftey divers, tech divers, or any other diver who may potentially view their prowess in the water as a measure of their value as a person. That's the wrong reason to be diving.

Diving is nice as it is one of the few sports where man, woman, young or old makes no difference in terms of skill and ability.

I'm almost 16, ad I have been diving for a year. Never during that period of time have I ben treated as a "kid." Being a new diver always adds caution when diving with the more experienced, but never once has anyone treated me like a child.

Welcome to the boards. It's nice to have more divers on here a little closer to my age. Good luck with your OW dives, and have fun!:)

Kayla:)

nitroxbabe once bubbled...
WTF? "Humble them out"???

OK, it's like this... a 16-year old kid has to EARN respect, JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. And ESPECIALLY because he is young and inexperienced.

Any other "old buggers" have any comments?????
Well, seems a nerve was struck on that one. I have always been the young guy of the group and learned that when put into adult situations, I should not have to work any harder than anyone else to earn the respect of my peers. That's what the other people are in his class, regardless of age, they are his peers.

Here is an example for you, I started working the road on an ambulance at just 19. I was the youngest guy around then and for a while after. The people that I worked with, for the most part, were and still are my peers. Most of them treated me with the same respect that they would have given someone their age. And yes, some of them old enough to be my parents. Some of them did not give me any respect at all, no matter how good I was at my job, or worked for it from them. They discounted me solely on the basis of age. About half of those people still do discount me because of my age, saying I am young and inexperienced, that I should respect them because of age and expereince while I get no respect from them. Well it doesn't work that way, at least not with me. EVERYONE regardless of age has to earn respect, it is not a given, ever. It is a two way street and both lanes are of equal width.
You'll really make yourself popular if you go around insulting other divers. You'd be better off to try to learn something from them.
My diving is not a popularity contest. The people that I want to learn from have already realised that regardless of my age, I too have experience and knowledge to share. They have earned my respect and in turn, I have earned theirs.
Have you considered taking the higher road and not responding aggressively by trying to "humble" someone? Setting a classy example is a far better choice, IMO. That would earn MY respect.
That's the type of person that I am. In fact, that's what alot of people older than me tell me that they like most about me. The fact then when I want something, I go and get it. If I want to say something I do. I am mostly an assertive person, but I get mildly aggressive when something gets personal. As for setting the example, isn't it customary for the older and wiser to be setting the example for the younger and inexperienced?

The intent of my previous post was not to offend you Nitroxbabe.

Though maybe a little less harsh response would be indicated in that situation. Maybe setting the example for the older and wiser by explaining the earning of respect from peers? With reflection on my previous post, I think that would be a better way of going about it, no?

Hey how's it going?
It's not that strange, really. Many of my friends starting diving when they were 16. It took me a few years but when I finally got around to it (this year, for my 19th birthday present) I was in a class with people my age to 50 years old for my open water. There was a 14 year old in my advanced course, but for my Rescue & every one of my fun dives I'm always the youngest by a few years. I think it's not something that a lot of younger people consider or believe is accessible to them.

nothing wrong with young divers.
i think your lucky.
i grew up in a very small mountain town in colorado.
i only dreamed of being able to dive.
i had to wait until i was 20 and living near the ocean before i could get certified.
i didn't even know they would let people under 18 dive, not like i would have been able to anyway, but oh well, skiing filled in for diving, hehehhehee.

this summer i was on a dive out of Panama City, Florida and a guy brought his 12 year old son, and his 13 and 14 year old daughters along. i thought it was great. they really enjoyed themselves. i only wish i could have been diving at that age.

he even brought along his 10 year old son as a bubblewatcher on the boat. you could tell that he was excited and couldn't wait to join them when he was old enough.

lets face it, we all just love to dive, and we can all learn from each other and have a great time.

just my 100 psi worth.

Brad

Back
Top Bottom