16 and scubadiving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm 13... My buddy is 14. We were the only ones in our class when we got certified in June. I HATE BEING THE YOUNGEST!:(

As an old bugger who is also ex-law enforcement, I will give you a couple fun loving tips about scuba...
1) I WISH I had started scuba at your age. Live life to the fullest, you may never know when you'll get struck down and unable to do what you love.
2) Ignore harsh comments and do what you love. You have admirable qualities as young divers and will see fantastic things that many people will never even dream of.
3) Unfortunately, like most divers, you will have to earn respect from some while given such by others. Be respectful. Learn your skills. Be the best diver you can be. Grow within the sport and when you are a divemaster at 20 with a couple thousand hours of diving, you can laugh at others who know little. But don't!
4) Most importantly, you never have to swim faster than the shark, just your dive buddy!
HAVE FUN!!! Enjoy your youth and this awesome sport that you are admirable to have undertaken.

I finished my OW classes in July and had semi-private instruction with a 13 year-old. He was a great student and an excellent buddy. I would dive with him in a heartbeat. As an inexperienced older bugger, I learned very quickly that age does not necessarily earn you respect as a diver....attitude and responsibility do.

I have a lot of respect for younger people who have the courage to try new things and the determination to follow through.

My 14 year-old niece absolutely LOVED snorkeling when she visited this summer. I secretly hoped she might develop an interest in diving so I would have another dive buddy. If she ever shows the interest, I would fully support her and would hope she would have the courage to do what you have already done.

Dive safe...and enjoy!

~LittleFrog

I did my OW when I was 13. Now I am 16 and Rescue Diver. So NO I don't think it's odd :)

I can understand that you'd prefer diving with people our age but I think there aren't that many around.

Diving with adults is not bad. I quite enjoy it especially since (in my case) they don't treat me any different than other adults. You can also learn a lot from them.

Of course diving with people our age is great but in the beginning I think it's better to tag along with (experienced) adults just to get the hang of everything and build up experience.

I know it seems weird in the beginning being the youngest in the group (i was as well) but you'll get used to it.

Enjoy your course

I started diving when I was 15 and now am 20 years old and a diving instructor. I wish I had gotten to dive more when I was younger but at least I got certified at a young age. Sometimes I feel like the only person under 30 on this board. Glad to hear there's other young'uns here. :)

Hey collin, I was 16 when I started diving as well as all my buddies. 16 is a perfect age to start diving. I dove for 5 years and when I was 22 I became an insrtuctor. I know what your going through, I was the youngest instructor in my group of 40, but since I started so young and dove so much i did the best. Im 22 now, I dive for free and I get paid to do it. keep it up bro you can be a good insrtuctor.

AJ

ScubaCollin once bubbled...
I was just wondering if it was odd for someone of my age to be scuba diving, and if there are others. Im the youngest in my diving course, and i hate diving with old buggers (lol jk) I just think id have a better time diving with someone my age.

Also it would be cool if you guys could post your diving stories. I cant wait for my open water dive. Were diving a downed sea plane and a ship reck. :D

I started diving when I was 16. As a matter of fact, it was my birthday present and it was just what I wanted :D
I turn 18 in 5 months now but I have always found myself to be the youngest when diving.
I've learned not to mind. No one has ever looked down on me. Quite the opposite in fact. As long as you don't act incredibly immature to the point of annoying those around you, and dive well with the proper skills and knowledge, they respect you more.
I enjoy diving with "the older buggers" because I learn more :)

Back
Top Bottom