16kg enough lift for wreck diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kckskh

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499

kckskh:

Sure unless you are trying to lift the wreck. :wink: The main purpose a lift bag has for me is to provide a stable refreence to the surface for controlled deco hangs. For that 16kg is plenty. If you are using it to lift bags of china I would go bigger.

wedivebc:
Sure unless you are trying to lift the wreck. :wink: The main purpose a lift bag has for me is to provide a stable refreence to the surface for controlled deco hangs. For that 16kg is plenty. If you are using it to lift bags of china I would go bigger.

er..i mean 16kg lift for my BCD..haha

Sounds like you should be talking to a qualified dive shop who will be able to walk you through the proper questions. You bc should be able to float your rig at the surface. Since we don't know anything about you or you diving rig your not going to get an accurate answer.

For example:
Are you diving singles or doubles?
What size tanks are you using?
How much do you weigh?
etc, etc.

I'll start by saying that I have never been one for penetration wreck dives, so I may be missing something here myself, but is there a reason why you think the answer to this question is different for wreck diving than it would be for any other kind of diving?

If you are referring to the lift capacity of your BC, I don't know what there is about "wreck diving" in particular that would tell you whether 16kg is just right, too much, or not enough - or at least nothing special about wreck diving that would outweigh the importance of other weight and lift issues that apply to other kinds of diving.

The questions that tell you whether 16kg is the right amount of lift depend on you and your equipment - your body, the weight and buoyancy of your tank(s) full and empty, the buoyancy of your exposure suit, and the weight of whatever else you're diving with, etc. - the same questions that you would ask whether you were wreck diving or doing something else. If you're planning to carry any equipment that you would not carry for some other kind of diving, you need to know what it is and what it weighs (at or near the surface and at the depths you plan to dive, if different) before you can figure out how much lift you might need to manage it in the water. And if you carry any extra weight for "wreck diving" stuff, you should be able to leave behind other weight that you would otherwise need, so that you end up in the same place - neutral at the safety stop at the end of your dive with your BC empty.

If you're talking about deep and prolonged diving with double tanks and stages and the like, you really need to get specialized training and learn the answer to this question there, because there's a lot more to that kind of diving than figuring out the amount of lift required to get all of that stuff (and you) back to the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom