$170 1400 lumen 120 degree spill video light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've tried ordering lights from aliexpress twice now. Can't get through the communications barrier enough to make a purchase. Sure wish they at least had a price listed on the site so I could buy one electronically.

They may be the greatest thing ever, but I don't speak Chinese so I guess I'm out of luck.

/frustrated

You don't need to speak Chinese? They all have basic English skills. You just contact the supplier and ask how much it is for x units, agree on a price, and then pay. I've never had an issue with communication.

True, I'm more concerned with how to attach it to the locline. This is what I have now.

If there is something like this for those wider lights perfect but I haven't had any success finding such a mount or another way to mount them to loclines. This might be an alternative but I really don't think they would accommodate the w40vr's width:

They do make a mount for about 30-40 bucks I think. Kinda pricey. I saw it on alibaba but it takes a bit to find it.

Good to see that the light flickering seems to be fixed. I was under the impression that it was present at 24, 30, and 60 fps.
That's promising news on the flicker issue including for the d32vr.

I have to search further but the only mount that I keep finding is the ULCS type which I don't think can be attached to loclines.

NEW-W40VR-Unique-and-Special-2600-lumens-font-b-UV-b-font-Red-Purple-White-font.jpg

That's promising news on the flicker issue including for the d32vr.

I have to search further but the only mount that I keep finding is the ULCS type which I don't think can be attached to loclines.

View attachment 177369

You can make a great one with an 1/8" x 1" aluminum strip and SS hardware from Lowes, a piece of bicycle innertube, and a YS connector

Archon D32VR and W40VR Review

Well I just returned from a 40 dive Indonesia trip taking with me both the D32VR and the newer W40VR. Here is a bit of a report. First some photos.
IMG_6453c.jpgIMG_6455c.jpgIMG_6456c.jpg
The lights are compact and bright. The W40VR nicer with the magnetic switches controlling the lights vs. the D32VR where you have to twist the end to open and close an electrical contact. The W40VR also has purple and UV lights in addition to the white and red that both lights have. The white light of the W40VR is also brighter. Both take the same battery. Now off diving.

D32VR
Good news first. The D32VR worked fine as advertised. The red and white lights are quite bright. I used it on all day and night dives. The flicker problem reported earlier when videoing on the low setting seems to have been solved. This YouTube link shows a brief video shot at night with the D32VR on low setting Night dive, Flores, Indonesia using Archon D32VR light - YouTube . The red light is bright enough to use at night to see.
Bad news. The on-off mechanism is by physically turning the body of the light in order to make or break the battery connection. At the point of contact, there is some aluminum to aluminum contact and I noticed some fine aluminum shavings starting to accumulate inside the battery compartment. Wiped it out, but this can't be good news for long term use. The depth affects the ease of turning the body as well.

W40VR
Well, the light flooded on the first dive. Badly and it happened pretty shallow. And yes, I certainly did a number of sink and camera bucket tests first. The Chinese supplier has been contacted and the light is being returned. Standby for an update.

More later.

Well I just returned from a 40 dive Indonesia trip taking with me both the D32VR and the newer W40VR. Here is a bit of a report. First some photos.
View attachment 181134View attachment 181135View attachment 181136
The lights are compact and bright. The W40VR nicer with the magnetic switches controlling the lights vs. the D32VR where you have to twist the end to open and close an electrical contact. The W40VR also has purple and UV lights in addition to the white and red that both lights have. The white light of the W40VR is also brighter. Both take the same battery. Now off diving.

D32VR
Good news first. The D32VR worked fine as advertised. The red and white lights are quite bright. I used it on all day and night dives. The flicker problem reported earlier when videoing on the low setting seems to have been solved. This YouTube link shows a brief video shot at night with the D32VR on low setting Night dive, Flores, Indonesia using Archon D32VR light - YouTube . The red light is bright enough to use at night to see.
Bad news. The on-off mechanism is by physically turning the body of the light in order to make or break the battery connection. At the point of contact, there is some aluminum to aluminum contact and I noticed some fine aluminum shavings starting to accumulate inside the battery compartment. Wiped it out, but this can't be good news for long term use. The depth affects the ease of turning the body as well.

W40VR
Well, the light flooded on the first dive. Badly and it happened pretty shallow. And yes, I certainly did a number of sink and camera bucket tests first. The Chinese supplier has been contacted and the light is being returned. Standby for an update.

More later.

Wow, that's bad news regarding the W40VR. The shavings with the D32VR are a bit concerning too. I've been wondering if these lights may be too heavy for my locline arms. Not sure as to whether i'd want these lights.

So how was your trip in Indo? You sure did a lot of dives. Where at?

Those D32V lights look much colder than the advertised 5000K. Very similar to my epoque EL105 (same creed bulb but specs of 7000K!?!)

Locline 3/4" will hold 800 grams in air. Locline 1/2" around 250 grams in air. It is difficult to find 1/2" YS mounts but you can easily buy 3/4" Ys mounts

The issue of finding the right mounts for some of these Chinese lights is always in the back of my mind. I got lucky with SRP providing some nice mounts for my D11V. After having fiddled with Sola lights at a local shop, their compact size and fluid operation of the controls make them very attractive, despite being more expensive than the Archons.

At the point of contact, there is some aluminum to aluminum contact and I noticed some fine aluminum shavings starting to accumulate inside the battery compartment. Wiped it out, but this can't be good news for long term use. The depth affects the ease of turning the body as well.
I used some silicone grease at the contact points when I noticed the abrasions, more than for an O ring, time will tell. Remember silicone grease is used by the linemen as Dielectric Grease on high voltage lines, it doesn't conduct electricity and won't short out. Just make sure you don't gob up the O rings, light coat there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom