18 hour wait before flying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In this case, I look at what you might gain versus what you are risking:

In this case, the risk is DCS, a possibly life threatening condition, while stuck on an airplane without any way to do anything about it.

Why 24? If 24 is better than 12, then certainly 48 is better than 24, right?

My point was more with respect to the arbitrary nature of the recommendation (98% desaturation from a theoretical four hour tissue compartment) than anything else.

I think you can google it but DAN did a study and found no difference between 12 and 24 and their new recommendation is 12 if I remember right. I have done a week on Roatan and flown in less than 24hrs to Belize where I did another week of diving! I just watch my loading the last day.

My point was more with respect to the arbitrary nature of the recommendation (98% desaturation from a theoretical four hour tissue compartment) than anything else.

Not to mention the apparently arbitrary nature of DCS hits. Just 'cause you deserve one, doesn't mean that you will get one. The corollary is also painfully true.

In the end, all you can do is play the odds and gamble, hopefully with informed consent.

In this case, the risk is DCS, a possibly life threatening condition, while stuck on an airplane without any way to do anything about it.

Most airplanes have 100% O2 on board, which is the best way to manage DCS (yes, I know, you also need to hydrate and not overheat and not exert yourself and...) until to get to a chamber. Just be sure to tell the crew what you need and why.

I think you can google it but DAN did a study and found no difference between 12 and 24 and their new recommendation is 12 if I remember right. I have done a week on Roatan and flown in less than 24hrs to Belize where I did another week of diving! I just watch my loading the last day.

You might be right, but the DAN recommendations for flying after diving which I posted were taken off their website today.

I just have a strict personal rule of 24 hours myself. Ive heard some 12 hours some said 18 and a few said 24. Me I just like to take a day as others have said and enjoy the beach or restraunts or maybe just relax and suck down an ice cold brewskie.

Life is too short so enjoy any free time it gives you!

One point to consider: the possibility, although small, that a sudden loss of cabin pressure at flight level would turn a serious event into a major life threat for the one passenger with a nitrogen load.

Think oxygen, whilst still on the ground or even better in shallow water. It is amazing how much nitrogen you can scrub out in a hurry that way.

One point to consider: the possibility, although small, that a sudden loss of cabin pressure at flight level would turn a serious event into a major life threat for the one passenger with a nitrogen load.

If I felt it necessary to avoid risks that are that remote, I wouldn't be getting on an airplane in the first place.

You're right. I've been through three plane crashes and zero depressurizations.

Back
Top Bottom