• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

18650 battery charger?

Discussion in 'Lights' started by BertStevens, Mar 6, 2016.

1. BertStevens

BertStevens Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I'm acquiring more lights powered by 18650 batteries and would like to reduce the supplied single chargers to a multi charger. Anyone have a favorite battery charger they would like to recommend?

2. muzikbiz22

muzikbiz22 Manta Ray

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Nitecore D2 or D4.

3. BertStevens

BertStevens Barracuda

In a different thread, I found this before posting my question. Thoughts?

4. muzikbiz22

muzikbiz22 Manta Ray

Slow charging is not an issue with me. I rotate 18650's. Use one, charge one. Besides, I'm who who questions "fast chargers". It's my opinion and experience, batteries like a slow consistent charge.

5. eelnoraa

eelnoraa DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    It is not the case for li-on battery. Generally, they want to be exercised. It is completely OK or even prefer to have max charging current at 1C level within the proper state of charge. By 1C meaning 1x the capacity, so a 2500mAh 18650 can be charge with max current of 2.5A during the proper range of the charging state. Any decent charger today won't just charge the battery at 1C. They generally start slow, reach peak charging current between 20% - 60%, then slow down as the battery become full.

Nitcore D2 or D4 are decent chargers. They are low cost, charge the battery properly but very slow at 0.5A per channel. If you already have them and don't mind the slowness, I see no reason to change. However, if you are buying a new charger today, better 18650 charge would be something Xtar SP2 which can charge at 2A per channel and still follow the proper charge curve.

divin'dog and muzikbiz22 like this.
  6. tbone1004

tbone1004 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    correct, li-ions do like to be charged at 0.5-1c, and the Nitecore is much lower than that, .375a with 4 batteries in there, which is due to its ability to charge NIMH batteries. The slow charge rate isn't going to hurt the cells at all, just means you have to charge overnight. I do like the D4 because it charges my nimh batteries as well which I use in a couple of backup lights, my headlamp, camera flashes, and Petrel, so it is quite versatile and I don't have to select the charge current. six is one, half dozen the other

muzikbiz22 likes this.
  7. muzikbiz22

muzikbiz22 Manta Ray

Exactly ! The Nitecore is great for me, because I also have AAA, AA, Eneloops, C cells, to charge as well. Not saying it's the absolute best out there. But works nicely for me. With that said, great info in the 2 posts above.

8. fmerkel

fmerkel Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Do you ONLY want to charge, or is some occasional analysis of the battery condition desirable? For ~$20 you can get decent (slow) charging. For ~$40 you can get some diagnostics along with it, plus more control of the charge process.

9. BertStevens

BertStevens Barracuda

I don't mind spending a little more for a better charger. I just don't know enough about them ask intelligent questions. I've looked at a few manufacturers and there are so many choices I'm getting confused. That's why I thought I'd ask here for advice.

10. tbone1004

tbone1004 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!