18650 Protected Or Unprotected For Scubapro Nova Light 720r

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erbedo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all. Well, the topic title pretty tells everything.

I just bought a Scubapro Nova Light 720R, the seller told me to buy 18650 batteries, and manual advises to go with popular brands like Panasonic and Samsung.

However, on amazon I see a ton of different models: protected/non-protected, slightly longer or standard size and so on. I am kind of a newbie on batteries. Price is not an issue, I just want something reliable (just to avoid explosions, as I have seen some folks reporting those) and durable.

Can I go with protected batteries or will they be too long? Any further advice?

same charger. I like the 4 slot because I can charge a full block of NiMH AA batteries in there, but yeah, it's the same charger, just 2 slot vs 4

Since they are essentially the same price - why would you want batteries without the overcharge/undercharge protection circuit?

The "protection" is a small dime-sized circuit at the end of the battery under the shrink wrap making the battery longer. It also has some resistance so if you require a high amp draw it can be a limiting factor.Most of the time it's a good idea.

You may want to spend 10" reading through this recent thread. In terms of 18650 safety the charger is as or maybe more important than the battery. I prefer Xtar to Nitecore myself.
18650 battery charger?

For charger, definitely xtar over nitcore. Nitecornis a very slow charger, unnecessary slow for the cost and what is available out there

For battery, it looks to me the nova draws about 1A or so. Not a super high drain application. I will suggest go with protected as long as it fits. Generally, to get the full battery potential, you want unprotected. Since the protection is nothing more than a small pcb attached to the end of the battery. How well the whole thing perform depends on the protection circuit as well. Removing the protection circuit remove the limitation post by the circuit. However, it is users job to operate the battery properly. Here since the drain isn't high, protection circuit is usually not a limitation. Having the cell protected just eliminate maintainance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom