18lb wing with STA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djcheburashka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi. I'm considering an 18# Oxy wing because its so narrow. I see it comes with those newfangled plastic things so you don't have to use an STA.

But I like using an STA. Do the plastic/rubber thingies come off? Are they otherwise compatible with an STA?

I have the 30# Mach V. The soft sta things dont come off. You can still use an STA. I do. The only thing though, is that you can't use an STA tha is rectangular, it needs to be one of the ones that is angular.

I have the 18lb Mach V. I used to use the DR STA with it no problems at all. But after a few dives, i realised that it was completely redundant as there is no tank roll at all even without using the sta (apparently the 4 little pods did a good job) so i do away with the sta. It saved me some space and weight in my luggage too.

I just got the 18lb wing and travel plate (and you can come take a look, djcheburashka :) ). I'm not planning on taking the STA as "dry runs" seem like it'd be completely redundant, and a big reason I went with this rig is weight/size in luggage.

coralcruiser.....

I just got an DR Ultralight to use with my 18 lb Oxy Razor wing.....

Curious how you will like it.......

I like the compact size and weight.....

Not sure I like the way the wing pushes into your back with the wing inflated.....

I was using a AL plate and it provides a firm surface for the wing to inflate against (other than your back).....

I will post pics later.......M

coralcruiser.....

I just got an DR Ultralight to use with my 18 lb Oxy Razor wing.....

Curious how you will like it.......

I like the compact size and weight.....

Not sure I like the way the wing pushes into your back with the wing inflated.....

I was using a AL plate and it provides a firm surface for the wing to inflate against (other than your back).....

I will post pics later.......M

Hmmm. didn't know that DR makes an ultralite plate too.

I dove with the oxycheq ultralite and mach v prior to getting the transpac with their travel wing so I kep my mach v and sold the oxycheq plate.

Actually liked diving with the ultralite over the transpac which is I decided to get one again. I had a lot more stability with the utralite plate and never felt my wing pushing into my back.

Thanks all. I appreciate the advice. And I accept that it doesn't *need* an STA.

The thing is, I *like* using an STA. For one thing, when I dive singles I often am using a yoke rental tank so I need a DIN-Yoke adapter and the STA puts the regulator further from the back of my head. For another, I have a Salvo weighted STA, and I like it because it puts the weight where its helpful for trim. I like that weighted STA, and I want to keep using it.

Is the consensus that the Salvo/Halcyon style rectangular STAs will not work with the 18# wing?

scottm - I hope I can get a look at yours soon!

I have an Oxycheq Mach V 18# wing, and I have used it with an STA. The "anti-roll" bars, just kind of folded under/out of the way without issue. It worked fine with my DSS stainless-steel backplate.

The STA looks like this (so it is not a completely U-shaped one).

sta.jpg

Blue Sparkle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom