1916 Silent Film 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. (Spoiler Alert)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
As a child, the Disney movie 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ranked among my favorite films and was the only version I was familiar with. However, I just watched and thoroughly enjoyed the 1916 silent film of the same name now available on Netflix.

The diving scenes had the crew walking on the bottom in self-contained gear like the Disney version-amazing considering the date of filming. Unlike the Disney version, Nemo (in unfortunate garb reminiscent of Santa Clause) is the vengeful Indian Price Daaker, punishing the world for atrocities inflicted on his wife and daughter. The film also uses part of Jules Verne's sequel, Mysterious Island to expand on Nemo's biography.

C

Last edited:
I have the movie in DVD format. Copies were kicking around the diving bibliophile world about 25 years ago. I can't recall where or whom I otainted it

Check for the book:

20 Years under the sea
J.E. Williamson
The Junior Literary Guild
Hale, Chushman and Flint,
New York City, NY
Hard cover with Dust jacket
320 Pages
Well illustrated
No ISBN or LCC

I also have a mint copy of "20 Years underthe sea" complete with dust jacket which I have had for probably close to 50 years, but suspect there just maybe copies hidden away in some dark corner of a little ole book store, or one of the on line book merchants,

So start looking...........

FYI: The dust cover is Brown and Black; the cover is Black with gold titles

sdm

Thanks for the link Couv. Dr Sam, I'm lookin, I'm lookin!
I've read about Williamson's adventures making this film and using his "williamson tube" in several books now. Quite an interesting fellow for his times.

Dale C,

I some how suspect that you will end up with a copy of "20 years under the Sea." And it will have a mint dust jacket, a mint cover, no foxing and personally inscribed.

You are with out a doubt the RCMP of the historical diving bibliophile world...my only regreat is that I do not live close to you and could just follow you around for your tailings.

I attempted to describle the book in detail,its size, number of pages, with dust jacket and with hardback cover; it is an old bibliophile addage...
......"If you can visualize the book then you can find the book."

I wish you well in your search and future sucess in historical diving bibliophilia.

SDM

Back
Top Bottom