1k to spend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsmorrison

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will finish up my OW next month. I have my fins,booties,mask & snorkel. I will wait closer to summer to get a wet suit. I have 1k to spend on the rest of gear. Any sugestions? Type of bc, computer,reg and octo. Can it be done for a 1,000.00 thanks:idk:

absolutely! you can get everything for at or under $1k. now the question to ask is what are your diving intentions, so you can be steered towards gear that's reasonable for you.

yes it can be done for 1k, best bet is to try various things out before to see what you like though. Dive gear is like underwear, just because i like it doesnt mean you will. For about 1k i would say an aqualung titan lx, suunto cobra or oceanic veo, and a cheap BP/W setup or a kinda midgrade BC should be reliable and not too expensive. for a computer aslong as it is nitrox compatible then you should be set for a while since that is like the next tier most OW divers approach you should be fine. The aqualung titan LX when i was pricing around was one of the best performing/cost regulators available

Before you buy a reg though i recommend finding a reputable dive shop that is local and make sure they can service it. down here i have been less than impressed with shops that offer mares and impressed by the scuba pro and aqualung shops

I picked up gear for me and my wife for 1k. 2 used zealge bcds 375, 2 New mares abyss 22 1st and seconds for 550 off fleabay also got 2 new mares rover octo for 115. and you can get 2 computers for 100.

Computer you have to decide if you want a wrist or console.
Oceanic-Diverite-scubapro make great computers alot of other companies also just I am familiar with these

Regs- I like scubaPro-Atomic. I dive the MK17/G250v Its a great sealed reg and an awesome breather. I also own an Atomic M1 set and it too is fantastic. Look around the board and you can find some great deals. Just remeber when buying used equipment get it serviced by a professional before diving with it. I have bought lots of used gear that works just as new.

As far as BC I recomend a BackPlate/wing. I Have the Halcyon Eclipse and Highly Recomend it.

Eclipse30_BC_color_small.jpg

Halcyon Eclipse

Any questions call the shop and speak with Wayne or Jason both are great guy's and can help.

Thanks imwright i will check that stuff out now. Babyduck I will diving out of my boat here in Ga & probably in Fl Keys and the springs in Fl too. Thanks again for any help!

Sure you can do it for 1K, I did it for about 650. when I started. The best advice is to find some divers who will lend you their gear to try. I also love my Halcyon SS BP/W(Stainless Steel Back Plate with Wing). I dove a jacket style the first couple of dives and I love the great fit with the BP, specifically the tank stays put. You can find some great deals by searching the internet or several boards, SB or DMX, however I have the same opinion on regs. I own regs that my LDS (Local Dive Shop) can service. Never forget that regs are the most important, they are life sustaining equipment.

They will let me try anything in the shop. If I don't buy from them I pay a rental fee....haven't paid any fees yet. Try a couple different regs, BCD's and computers. I start with a console and I am picking up a wrist mounted air integrated model to test while I am on vacation. Man I like my LDS, and they enjoy my money. I have a great relationship with them, and it has been mutually beneficial. I can ask stupid questions any time I want and they will answer or provide several different approaches to solve the question. Some of their solutions have been no cost to me. In my first visit, I had an older BCD and they thought the inflator might be more worn then they would like, so they replaced it with a FREE used one they had laying around. Find a good LDS, although it never hurts to let them know that you can get it somewhere else for less money.

Good luck with your diving.

It seems that a lot of people get certified, buy a lot of brand new expensive gear, and then drop out of the sport. So, you can often buy hardly-used, good quality equipment for half what it cost new.

If you DO buy used stuff, try to test things as best you can before you buy them, ask about warranty coverage, find out who will service your stuff, get as much of the paperwork (receipts, guarantees, instruction manuals, etc) as you can, get the stuff that is supposed to come with it (Computer CDs, download cables,spare parts) and have the important stuff (regs, BCs) serviced before you use it.

And if you have any questions about specific makes or models, Scubaboard is a great resource.

As many have said try stuff first if at all possible. I've bought a lot of used stuff to save a few bucks but some of it I don't like and would have known it if I had tried it first, so I didn't really end up saving money just added extra stuff to my "save a dive" collection bag. My LDS has a lot of gear, some store" gear, but a lot of "his" or rather "their" personal gear that they are willing to let me try out to see if I like before I purchase a "new" one from them. Not all LDS's are this way but if you build up a familiarity or rapport with them, many are willing to so, plus it helps them make a sale.

It is known that divers who own their own gear dive more frequently than divers who do not. This helps keep them in the sport.

But it is also known that diving in general has a very high drop out rate, and perusal of craigslist and e-bay will reveal an enormous amount of gear wit h very few dives on it.

I would suggest a middle ground. But a few pieces of high quality gear. A very good reg, combining a used 1st stage and new second stages can be had fairly inexpensively, similarly a wetsuit can be found used for next to nothing (wash it out with one of the special cleaners designed to remove urine!!). A solid entry-level computer with the ability to input data to a computer log would round out your gear selection for under $1000. Toss in a couple of tanks.

Now, you have everything you need except a BC - which can be rented darn near everywhere. So rent as many different styles as you can. Borrow friends models that you can't find for rent. Really figure out what model you really love the most. Which one just feels like it isn't even there and can be used as naturally as possible for you. Do not be influenced by people telling you that a BP/W is the only way to go, or those who try to convince you that a BP/W is tech gear you don't need. Don't do anything but try as many different models and styles as you can.

Now you'll be ready to buy a BC. It'll be sometime down the road, but you'll have decided on exactly what you want.

It's a good middle ground.

Back
Top Bottom