1st day of open water check out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sashababy22

Reaction score
undefined
Well, today was my first day of open water check out, we went to a quarry in westminster md, called Hydes, the morning weather was very nasty, i realized that getting into a wet suit was like getting into a sasuage roll, after i got in the suit i felt like a peguine, finallly got into the water and realized that not being a smaller person means that i would need almost 50 lbs of weight, after all that i thought it would be all systems ago.......... wrong, my $100 mask that worked so well in the pool was having a very leaky day, so i had to switch to another mask my teaher had...... then finally after all that i decided that i just can't wait to do it again tomorrow, being under the water i was actually face to face with a fish, it was awesome.....hopefully tomorrow will be just as great
:jaws:

Congratulations......glad you are ripped and ready to take on another day. WOW, 50lbs, thought I had a bunch of weight on the first day. Makes my 30 lbs sound like nothing (I to am not quite what you would call "smaller" in stature). I would guess 7mm suit and all trimings were with you today.

My instructor takes along hotdogs and feed the piranaha perch, very fun. We also had a big ole carp that likes to keep you company. Adds to the fun when you can play with the fishies and not have keep them in an aquarium.

Day 2 will be a whole lot more fun and I would bet that by the end of the day you drop at least 10lbs of that weight back into the locker never to see it again.

Congrats and welcome. Enjoy

Brian

Hi Again!

Since you did an Introduction here a week or so back, I'll ask the Mods if they will move this to New 2 Scuba for better discussion.

Glad you enjoyed your first experience. There's always some glitches, but that's why we have training. It'll get better with training and practice.

For your wet suit entry, try sticking your foot in a plastic shopping bag, then the foot into the leg all the way. Move to bag to the other foot, next hand, next hand, then pass it along to a buddy. Wonderful tool. I also like using liquid dish soap, but don't get it on the deck.

What's the problem on the mask? Were you wearing a hood or beanie? Strap too high?

Have fun!

sounds like you had a good check out... I can't wait to hear how tomorrow goes.. Best of luck to you.. :chicken:

Vickie

Moved thread from Intros and Greets to New 2 Scuba

That's the only thing that's really bugging me the weight issues...I used 26 with no suit in Key West this past July (I'm in VERY decent shape and 290) 2 "10's" on the belt and 2 "3's" in the pockets.. And it worked fairly well (in salt water too so it's denser)

I'll be using my suit this coming weekend for my checkouts...I'm figuring 4 "8's" on the stupid belt maybe (when I get my own I'm DEFINATELY getting a weight integrated!) something in the pockets...I'm more stressed about taking the belt off and putting it back on more than anything else!

Tips?

Congratulations on your dive. I would check your weights though, 50lbs seems like alot. It's always a good idea to keep some backup equipment on board when diving. I always take an extra mask and fins just in case I were to lose them or have one break.

If your mask was leaking, try checking its position and your hair. I had to trim my mustache to make my new mask work properly. Again congrats on the dive and I'll see you around the board.

Tim

Congrats and good luck!
I bet you can work on your buoyancy enough to throw away a few of those pounds.

I know the "penguin" feeling. I got a great suit though that really cuts down on that feeling. :)

I know how you feel about the suit, though. If I'm going into water in the 50sF, or even 60s with cool weather, I'll don my 7 mil, and feel like the Michelin Man. Then, if it's saltwater, 28# of lead to pull me and all that neop down. If you're in a 2 piece 7 mil, that takes more lead, as do newbies until you learn to relax.

Are you carded now? Be sure to update your Dive Info, with the Quick Links menu above.

And order a copy of "Certified Divers Handbook," by Clay Coleman. A great help for a new diver. $16 at Amazon, I think. :profile:

Back
Top Bottom