1st Dive Trip - Accessories?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaeger62

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Making my first dive trip next month to Cozumel.

What accessories should I have for this trip, besides what I either have or plan to buy?

Mesh gear bag
Dry bag for boat
6' surface inflatable SMB
Whistle
Backup light (for day dive use and backup for the 1 night dive)
Signal mirror

Missing anything?

how well/easily do you get suntan? a wide-brim hat and/or a white long sleeve hoodie or some such might be in order: there is a lot of uv out on the water, reflected as well as direct, and a nice breeze to cool you down so you won't feel the burn.

how well/easily do you get suntan? a wide-brim hat and/or a white long sleeve hoodie or some such might be in order: there is a lot of uv out on the water, reflected as well as direct, and a nice breeze to cool you down so you won't feel the burn.

Yep, already set my boonie style type hat to go in my dive bag.... good idea on the long sleeve white shirt.. maybe i can find a cheap UV rash guard

A compass. Read online about how best to use it while diving (hold it out ifn front of you, use a bungee mount or retractor to avoid losing it and other tips.

Extra o-rings? I keep a frew reg-sized o-rings in my wallet because I just about always have my wallet, even at the pool.

I love to take a small set of binoculars when I go on a trip.

2nd a compass, sunscreen, a good hat...If you are not going to be wearing a wetsuit because it's too warm for one for you, I would still consider a lycra skin for sunburn or accidental bumps, stings, etc. Also add de-fog if you are like me and don't like baby shampoo and the boat stock stuff.

I would also strongly recommend a save a dive kit. Extra fin straps/bungee straps, o-rings, spare mask, zip ties, waterproof bandaids/3M Tegaderm...Anything you need to save a dive because something has gone wrong. :) Have fun! Cozumel was also my first dive trip. :)

I bought the spring fin straps, so I'll bring the originals as backup straps.... good idea!

I hate to disagree with the above opinions but for me the most important accessory is a dive buddy that knows me and stays within "5 feet, 5 seconds" all else is superfluous. Seriously a good.dive buddy is worth her weight in gold. Imho Bill

I assume compass, etc. is part of standard gear that you have. O rings, spare mask, other clips and repair stuff that you may need if shore diving--these are basics anyway, not accessories. I just used my spare mask today as the clip busted after I was already all geared up. I may suggest "Dive Alert".
If you do a paper log maybe a pencil and sheet of paper in a jar so it can't get wet on a boat. There are probably other things depending on what your diving objective is.

I assume compass, etc. is part of standard gear that you have. O rings, spare mask, other clips and repair stuff that you may need if shore diving--these are basics anyway, not accessories. I just used my spare mask today as the clip busted after I was already all geared up. I may suggest "Dive Alert".
If you do a paper log maybe a pencil and sheet of paper in a jar so it can't get wet on a boat. There are probably other things depending on what your diving objective is.

You would be surprised how many people dive without a compass or if they have one on their dive computer, have no idea how to use it or access it. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom