1st Dive Trip - Accessories?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Post dive stuff:
$tip money
Large ziplock bag to keep towel dry from sea spray on boat.
Bottled water to rinse salt off face

Consider a DSMB with finger reel and practice shooting it before the trip. Or to make things easier, use a precut length of line from the reel.

Safety stops in Cozumel are midwater with no hangline. If you and your buddy get separated from your group during ascent (or if you ascend early), the DSMB makes it a bit easier and adds some safety with regards to the boat traffic.

As for the compass, it's always good to have one anyway, but realistically. I don't know what you're going to do with one of those in Cozumel. The current is going to take you where it takes you.

On my last trip I got blown off my intended site on two occasions. It was the first time I have spent any length of time on the surface with DSMB. My standard model (bottom fill) did a lousy job of staying inflated at the surface; next time I go out to the sea or "big water" I'm going to take something that stays inflated.

Your flashlights are also good safety items. I always feel better taking a good light on daytime dives because I know that if things go badly and the light starts to fade, I'll be hugely easier to spot if I have a decent light.

The number 1 injury for scuba divers is sunburn. I got blistered my very first dive trip. So, as others have pointed out, definitely sunscreen. Something SPF 30 or higher and waterproof. Reapply after each dive.

DAN membership and insurance.

Something I use every single time I go diving is a basic sports drink squeeze bottle I got at some sporting goods store. I keep it filled with diluted baby shampoo and water and it lives in my dive bag. The diluted baby shampoo works great as anti-fog in my mask (and doesn't sting my eyes if I fail to rinse it out well enough), and to squirt some in the arms and legs of my wetsuit before I put it on to make it slide on easily.

Some type of cutting device. But be aware in Coz I think they will not let you dive with an actual knife. I always carry these two:

DGX Sharp Cut w/ Sheath ($18 - ceramic blades, so no rust)

DGX Titanium EMT Shears ($8)

and this sheath for the trauma shears:

MSM Shear Pouch - MIL-SPEC MONKEY STORE ($8)

So, for $34 plus shipping, you can have just about all the cutting devices you would ever need.

Consider a DSMB with finger reel and practice shooting it before the trip. Or to make things easier, use a precut length of line from the reel.

Safety stops in Cozumel are midwater with no hangline. If you and your buddy get separated from your group during ascent (or if you ascend early), the DSMB makes it a bit easier and adds some safety with regards to the boat traffic.

As for the compass, it's always good to have one anyway, but realistically. I don't know what you're going to do with one of those in Cozumel. The current is going to take you where it takes you.

Would a DSMB or SMB with a 15-20' precut length of line tied to something like a small bolt work to release at the safety stop? Drop the bolt and line, then inflate?

Would a DSMB or SMB with a 15-20' precut length of line tied to something like a small bolt work to release at the safety stop? Drop the bolt and line, then inflate?

If you do not know how to shoot a DSMB, then don't take one. I would work on that locally prior to the trip.

Try it "normally" with the reel first. Some people pick it up on their first try.

The last thing you want to do is to concentrate too hard on deploying the DSMB and shooting to the surface. So consider this a "nice to have" but not a "must have".

Using a reel takes some practise.I would not use a reel with an SMB, not on a trip involving air travel (bulky, heavy) and not if you are not used to it (they get snarled, and they jam). A jammed reel can pull you up, at least enough to make you lose your bouyancy control.
If you will use the SMB at or near the surface use a small spool with the amount of line you really need, 15-20m, certainly no more than 25m. You will occasionally drop the spool and 15-20m is not so annoying to wind back in. Untangling an untidy spool is also much easier than an untidy reel, esp in a confined space. With a little pracise the spool is every bit as easy as a reel could be and the spool can be left attached to the DSMB/SMB and still fit inside a BCD pocket.
A blaze color on the line can be nice BTW. Easier for others to avoid, very nice if you ever use the spool to mark a path underwater. Looks really cool and adds an interesting element in photos too.

Last edited:
I bought an SMB today. Orange on one side, yellow on the other, with reflective material on the top and a clip to attach a chem light or strobe.

It is a sealed bottom. I'm not going to take a spool this trip as I don't have time yo practice before I leave.

I was thinking about a length of line long enough for the safety stop. The thought being I could release it at the end of the safety stop. Would that not take out the risk that i may get pulled up, If i was already at end of the stop and ready to surface?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom