1st Dive Trip - Accessories?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would bring...
DSMB/ Spool... even if you don't know how to use it now, you may be able to talk to your DM and have him give you a few lessons on shooting it, if the conditions are right (if he's kind enough to do this, please remember when it's time to tip him). Practice it on every dive you can. If you don't feel like you can shoot it from depth you could still use it in a pinch if you were to the surface without your DM for some reason.
Sun screen... Check out Stream2Sea. It's reef safe, where most others are not I believe. Pack some regular stuff too, just in case.
Cutting Device... a simple DGX trilolbite would be fine.

I bought an SMB today. Orange on one side, yellow on the other, with reflective material on the top and a clip to attach a chem light or strobe.

It is a sealed bottom. I'm not going to take a spool this trip as I don't have time yo practice before I leave.

I was thinking about a length of line long enough for the safety stop. The thought being I could release it at the end of the safety stop. Would that not take out the risk that i may get pulled up, If i was already at end of the stop and ready to surface?

May want to grab a spool... you never know if your DM or a kind fellow diver (with experince) would be able to help you learn. Is it a Dsmb or just a smb? The D is for delayed... this meaning you can shoot it from depth. If it has an over pressure valve you can safely shoot it from depth without worrying if it'll pop...

I bought an SMB today. Orange on one side, yellow on the other, with reflective material on the top and a clip to attach a chem light or strobe.

It is a sealed bottom. I'm not going to take a spool this trip as I don't have time yo practice before I leave.

I was thinking about a length of line long enough for the safety stop. The thought being I could release it at the end of the safety stop. Would that not take out the risk that i may get pulled up, If i was already at end of the stop and ready to surface?

Yes, that sounds like a good plan. A spool with just 10-12m on line would work just fine.

The final 10 - 20 feet of your ascent is the most important part. Then is the most important time to do a slow, controlled ascent, as that is the biggest percentage change of ambient pressure compared to surface pressure.

The ascent from your safety stop is the worst time to have an uncontrolled or "too fast" ascent. A "rapid" ascent from 60 feet to 40 feet is MUCH safer than the same speed ascent from 20 feet to the surface.

If you have any concern about your ability to deploy an SMB from depth while keeping control of your buoyancy, it would be best to practice it in a situation where you don't already have significant tissue loading of inert gas (i.e. at the end of a "real" dive). And keep practicing it like that until you do have reasonable confidence in your ability to do it without accidentally popping to the surface.

I was thinking about a length of line long enough for the safety stop.

No, get a spool. The easiest one is SMB with "duckbill" bottom and a buddy: have them hold the spool with thumb & finger so it spins freely, you blow air into the SMB from your backup reg. No skillz required.

Edit: reel, spool, or whatever t* they call 'em. one of these: http://www.leisurepro.com/p-aqufr/blue-reef-finger-spool-reel

Last edited:
Most of your dives will or wind up as drift dives so IMO, its important to have an SMB and a snorkel. Weather conditions can change quickly. I have found myself on the surface for 15 or 20 minutes in 4-6 ft seas waiting for a pick because the vessel went to gather up or look for lost and separated from the group newbies. The snorkel and SMB are invaluable in that situation. Topside - American dollars for tip money. bottle opener. :)

I was thinking about a length of line long enough for the safety stop. The thought being I could release it at the end of the safety stop.

Unroll, say, 8 m from the reel, tie a loop, pull the loop out the side through one of the holes, tie a clip to it. Wind the rest back on the reel, add the SMB as usual. When you let the reel go it'll unroll to the clip and stop.

Making my first dive trip next month to Cozumel.

What accessories should I have for this trip, besides what I either have or plan to buy?

Mesh gear bag
Dry bag for boat
6' surface inflatable SMB
Whistle
Backup light (for day dive use and backup for the 1 night dive)
Signal mirror

Missing anything?

When are you in Cozumel? I'm there next month too.

Other things not mentioned that you may wish to consider...

1. Pen or pencil for notes in a dive log or other notebook.
2. Laminated tables.
3. Laminated safety information - my personal info, who to contact in the event of an emergency, and what safety gear I am diving with so that SAR knows what to look for. This last one being a new one for me after having read the sticky thread in the general scuba equipment forum.

In my humblest of opinions, as someone who is getting into diving now, the only thing you need to bring is time, patience and a fun attitude. Don't worry about carrying to much stuff with you, right now you will be learning more about diving as whole and the entire idea is to learn the skills required as a good diver and to have fun. All the extra equipments you would need you can buy at a dive shop depending upon what you actually would be using. But the basic list you shared, as a safety kit list is fair enough, and don't really add on too much on top of that. What you can buy is actual Scuba gear to get comfortable in as you want to ideally dive in your own gear to be comfortable with the equipment and each dive will be that much awesome.

There are some articles on here which talk about what gear to buy first and why, shop accordingly and do what feels right to you when it comes to gear.

A rash gaurd or exposure suit/wet suit (Depending upon where you will be diving mostly), Mask and Fin are the most basic requirements followed by your dive computer, I use an entry level one like Suunto Zoop Novo and then BCD + Reg Set.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom