1st real OW dive this month

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Louma:
I hate to put a damper on this dive but ----- 70 ft is a little too deep right now. You should get yourself confident in the 40 to 60 ft range first. Now, I have seen people go right from O/W certification in the Northeast and dive 90 ft dives the next week in the Caribbean. But, again, this is not recommended.

Now, I’ll give you a quick story. My wife became a diver when I had my Master Diver certification. I thought she was a good diver in clear, calm Florida Keys water. She also loved it. So I set up some 70 ft dives in the Outer Banks of NC. First dive she freaked 5mm wet suit, 16 lbs. of weight, dark water current, depth. I did the tank tow and got her back on the boat we both sat out the remaining dives that day. I also had to cancel the 3 other days of diving we had planned. It took me over 5 years to get her diving again. She is now quite good with it. I wouldn’t want to see this happen to others.

Nitrox now is a great idea. Don’t forget AOW and Rescue when you’re ready.

Not putting a damper on it at all. I wanted some feedback. Question though, after my check outs my instructor did take me in the cave anyone can go into at Ginnie (sp??) Springs, I know its not a big deal but i was very comfortable with being 50 feet down and underground, think that would help at all? Or am I comparing apples to oranges? I dont think i'll really freak out as I couldnt get enough of diving on OW check outs, and I do love being adventurous, I just dont wanna be stupid and do something dangerous. I guess I need to call the dive shop and confirm the depth. The dive master was talking about 70 ft dives so I assumed thats the depth but I need to confirm that. Again thanks for all the advice so far, keep it comin!

I think it depends on the diver. I really don't notice much difference between 40 and 80 feet (where I dive both are pretty dark and cold). If there is a chance to get a few dives before your trip that would be great.

When you call the dive shop, let them know you are a new diver and wouldn't
mind a little extra attention if you are nervous. I am sure they would be able
to help.

Ginnie Springs is nice and clear and calm. You were under supervision of an Instructor. Is the dive coming up under similar conditions? I don’t think so according to your post. It seems to be a dive in the ocean, off a boat, with a friend. I agree with 1 T Submariner that for me and him and others with a few dives under our belt that there is no difference between 40 ft and 80 ft. For that matter there should be no difference between 10 ft in the pool and your first O/W dives (I tell this to my students all of the time). You just have to respect the depth and dive accordingly.

In your situation, I’m sure 70 ft. is the very deepest part of the dive. Not too many people dive dragging their depth gage in the sand (well at least the ones that are trained properly!). So, for the most part, you will be in the 60 to 65 ft. range maybe even less. It sounds like you will be on a dive boat from your shop; they already know your skill and confidence level and will have an eye out for you. Just remember, your ultimate safety is your responsibility. Not your dive buddy, not the DM, not the shop. I would just like to see you with a few more dives at the 40 to 50 ft. level at some place like Ginnie before doing a boat dive of 70 ft. Now that I’ve said my 2 cents worth - if you go on your planned dive – everything should be fine, have fun and dive safe. Oh, and welcome to the wonderful world of diving!

Just have fun. It sounds like you have a great buddy who probably has enough training to keep an eye on you, and as long as you stick to your training, you'll be fine.

I wouldn't worry about a refresher course... it's only been just over 6 months, you didn't likely forget anything. And again, it sounds like your buddy is pretty experienced and can help you out.

But then again, i'd take the advice of the instructors posting in here before you listened to me.

See if you can get some shore dives in first. Repetetive diving to 70 feet after a 6 month hiatus following only certification is pushing it IMO. Sounds like a good way to waste 2 person days not to emntion the fees.

Pete

Sounds good guys. I'm gonna call the shop today and talk with them. If they say I should be fine then I'll trust them. I'll just take it very conservative this trip.

Hey Mark,

Save the Nitrox for later. It's great to use when your comfort level is higher ( for me that was about dive no. 50) and you feel like you will get more bottom time out of the dive. Nitrox aint cheap and I think because you are still relatively new to scuba...maybe just put Nitrox on the back burner for a short while.

I agree with the other guy who posted : take it really easy, make your max depth 40 feet. I would just swim around and just get comfy with weights, and logistics of getting in and out of the water. Seriously. Be a bit more Zen like with it. Go really slow, then go slower.

Once you are at dive 40 or 50 then you will be sooo much more in tune and relaxed, I can't emphasize that one enough. Then go for Nitrox...and UW Photography too!

Enjoy, and safe diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom