1st stage of regulator failed in close position - new diver freaking out a bit :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

david gutkin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am a relatively new diver (30 dives or so) and when on my live aboard, my 1st stage regulator failed in the closed position while I was hooked in at 25 meters. (i am assuming that is the failure. What unfolded is: i had 120 bar left, I was hooked in, I took a breath of air and....nothing to breath. Tried again for second breath...nothing. I looked at my gauge and now it read zero, i grabbed my buddy who was hooked in next to me and buddy breathed to the surface with normal safety stops etc. During buddy breath to the surface, my gauge then went back to 120 bar and I could inhale via my own regulator.). fyi, I was using aqualung rental gear.

1) what failed? how common is this? I intend to get right back into diving again but I am going to buy the most expensive regulator possible! (i need the placebo effect to shake my fear a bit).

2) Often a buddy is not in arms reach (or they are busy with camera etc). After an exhalation and assessing the situation I think i would have had just a couple kicks in me to reach someone. There is a good chance I could have ended up not turning out so well. If, by some chance, my buddy was too far to reach, what are other the realistic options? ( i think pulling weights at 25m = never dive again).

3) what about stealing one breath from my BCD? (it was inflated more than normal since hooked in).

4) It makes me think a pony bottle would be a good thing! (but I fly to my dive sites)

help me build my confidence back up.
thanks!
-david

Last edited:
Faulty first stage seems likely if your gauge was zero and you couldn't breathe.
I hope you made sure it was taken out of use for a service.

That's why they teach these drills and skills at Open Water Diver level. Sometimes, you luck out and actually need skill and procedures to survive. :wink:

Its a good thing to get that wake up call sooner than later... 'pity the fool' who goes 500 dives and still 'doesn't think it'll ever happen to them' :)

What kind of first stage was it? Specifically brand, model and age.

It is highly unlikely this was a first stage failure. The high pressure port of a regulator is just after the inlet filters but before the internal working of the regulator, therefore if your gauge went to zero the problem was before the regulator, most likely a clogged dip tube in the tank valve would be the culprit. The one possible exception I know of the is a particular reg brand/type which is the reason I am asking which brand and model

What kind of first stage was it? Specifically brand, model and age.

It is highly unlikely this was a first stage failure. The high pressure port of a regulator is just after the inlet filters but before the internal working of the regulator, therefore if your gauge went to zero the problem was before the regulator, most likely a clogged dip tube in the tank valve would be the culprit. The one possible exception I know of the is a particular reg brand/type which is the reason I am asking which brand and model

All I know is "aqualung". The other dive master on the boat described the gauge going back to normal without me telling him, so he must have understood what happened. Something about a spring valve being stuck; though, i was still a bit too traumatized to take it all in.

Scared the heck out of me! Before this, I was sure that any situation that occurred, there was a way to get out of trouble if i remained calm. But seriously, if my dive buddy was a few more feet away, I would "never dive again".

1) what failed? how common is this? I intend to get right back into diving again but I am going to buy the most expensive regulator possible! (i need the placebo effect to shake my fear a bit).

Common is a relative term. Failures happen. Few divers dive frequently enough to make those failures 'common'.

2) Often a buddy is not in arms reach (or they are busy with camera etc).

Your choice on how to apply the Buddy Protocols or not. Choosing to let them slide is a step to self-sufficiency... or n eventual scare.

3) what about stealing one breath from my BCD? (it was inflated more than normal since hooked in).

It'll save your life, but get straight onto respiratory antibiotics.

4) It makes me think a pony bottle would be a good thing!

There you go.... prudent thinking :)

While it's better than breathing water, that's a very nasty thing to do.

Are you sure your valve was fully open?

Given the fact that your tank pressure went back up during ascent i would assume that your tank valve was not in full open position first. Did you check that?

Tank was open all the way --i checked that on surface. But just so I can learn more, if I was breathing fine before the event, why would a partially closed tank suddenly stop air flow and then restart with ascent (maybe more pressure to push thru a partially closed valve......but I think this would be an internal first sage issue)

Also, CESA is what we are taught (or buddy breath if possible)....but at 25m sounds like it is not realistic. What is the correct solution if this happens again? nobody seems to have a good answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom