1ST time boat diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwhef

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, I got certified this past summer and have dove in Monterey a few times , but never from a boat, only shore diving. I'm going to Cozumel in three weeks for my first scuba vacation and was wondering how well I might be recieved on the boats as a first timer. I could do a boat dive in Monterey before I go but I would prefer to put that $ towards the vacation. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

dwhef once bubbled...
Hey all, I got certified this past summer and have dove in Monterey a few times , but never from a boat, only shore diving. I'm going to Cozumel in three weeks for my first scuba vacation and was wondering how well I might be recieved on the boats as a first timer. I could do a boat dive in Monterey before I go but I would prefer to put that $ towards the vacation. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

I don't think you'll have any problems. Let the owner or divemaster know in advance, and most will be happy to assist. Divers for the most part are really great people, and happy to show a "newbie" the ropes. Of course, you'll get a few of the other ones also.

A couple of things to remember. There may be a rinse tank or two on board. DO NOT rinse anything other than cameras in the camera rinse tank. Camera people get really crazy about this.

Also, make sure that your tank is secured to railing or other means while the boat is in motion. Double check this for your safety and others. Flying tanks are scary....

Have fun!

When you go to connect your regulator to your tank be sure to remove the bungie or other tank fastener BEFORE you secure the yoke or din. Otherwise when you go to stand up in your bc you'll be embarrasingly yanked backwards - or worse. Just pay attention to that bungie whenever your doing anything around your tank.

Do your dive check (more than once) before you leave your tank post on the boat and begin standing in line to do your water entry. It is frustrating to other divers on a small boat if you get to the front of the line without your weights, or fins or mask- the whole line has to move around to accomodate you.

Pay attention to rules about weights, where they should be stored or placed. Most boats have rules about hard gear such as tanks and weights not being allowed in certain areas of the boat such as beyond the rear deck such as in the Galley.

Pay close attention during the boat rules and dive site briefings - if you can't hear move closer or speak up to have things repeated.

Listen to other conversations during the ride to the site, so you can determine which divers are in your skill area, or slightly more so you can find a buddy to ask questions. And as stated here already be sure you find out who the deck hands and DMs are so you can ask questions.

You'll have a great time ...

When gearing up/down do not scatter your gear (mask, fins, computer, etc.) all over the deck and bench. Stow it as you remove it, maintain a neat area so people aren't tripping all over your gear. Falling down with a tank on your back is no fun, been there, done that and the person who's foot I landed on didn't appreciate it either.

If you don't have a mesh bag, get one to use on the boat. Doesn't need to be anything fancy and they sure are handy!
Ber :bunny:

You are gonna love it! The only way to really mess up is to not tell anyone you are a little apprehensive, need a little extra help, are a newbie, etc. Make sure you communicate and you will be fine.

Bring some seasickness medication with you. I would suggest generic Meclizine which you can get at any Target or CVS. It is also sold as Bonine and Dramamine Non-Drowsy. My advice would be to take one the night before, one as soon as you wake up, and one when the boat leaves dock. It's very hard to OD on meclizine, but just the same, just limit it to that.

If while at sea you start feeling sick (this most of the time happens after the ship is anchored and the engine is off), find a place in the middle of the boat (NOT IN THE CABIN). Stare off in the horizon on some fixed point. Then get in the water as soon as you can. If you tell the crew you're feeling sick, they will probably help you along. Remember there are two types of divers in this world, those who have gotten sick, and those who haven't yet. Hope you have a blast.

Thomas

Lots of good advice here. I would add that you shouldn't hesitate to tell the DM that you are relatively new to diving and that this will be your first drift dive experience. It's what I did the first time and the DM made me feel safe and comfy.

Just a few tips here:
If you are properly weighted an not over weighted only add a little air to your bc befor jumping in I cant stand it when people fully inflat there BC's and than take forever to find there deflater and end up 25 feet away from where they should be. this realy applies to any dive made where there is some current and you are decending down a line.
Next tip keep your mask own and regulator in your mouth untill you get aboard the boat and seated. If you fall off the ladder or boat for whatever reason will will not have any thing to worry about.
And finly and I cant stress this enough keep your gear togther a little orginization goes a long way It will take a little time and experience to get this part but you will see what I mean. If I had a doller for every time some one asked if I had seen a peice of there gear I would be rich by now.

Does any one know if there is a spell check on this thing ?

A few more:

1. Try to know the proper amount of weight you need before you get on the boat, i.e., know your gear. If the boat is well-equiped with a platform and someone can get you more weight (or less) from the boat while you're doing your weight check, this may not be as much of a problem. If the boat only has a ladder, it can be a pain.

2. Do not try to sink without making sure that you're properly weighted. You may be under pressure from your buddies to go down as soon as possible. Better pissing them off a little on the first dive than taking unnecessary risks.

3. If the boat only has a ladder on the side (as opposed to a platform at the stern), don't hold it while in the water. Their could be a wave that you don't see, you'd be dragged out of the water and could hurt yourself. Rather, make sure your BC is inflated. If there is a current, swim straight to the anchor line or the trip line and hold it if you need to wait. You can also use the current line but that usually puts you further behind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom