1ST time boat diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for the tips. I am in the same situation, about to do my first boat dives.

My Instructor gave me a tip: to get back on the boat, step on the ladder as the back of the boat dips and let the boat lift you out of the water as it pitches forward, take each step up the same way.

My question: are there any tips for getting back onto a small (six pack) boat?

Thanks,

Alan

Alan
Do you mean a RIB or the equivalent?

If so, easiest way is to take off all your equipment other than your fins and pass it to whoever's on the boat. Then holding the side dip yourself downand pull up finning as hard as you can. This should give you enough momentum to get yourself up on the side.

Regards

Both Rodale's and Diverlink have articles about first boat dives. Here's one of them Your First Boat Dives You can even print it for reference.

Ber Rabbit hit the nail on the head. Don't bring so much stuff that you take up 75% of the boat. Keep everything in one tight area and keep it secure.

Don't you just love it when people climb aboard (without asking permission, or being invited) and start spreading their stuff around like they're the only ones on the boat... wet towells draped across the brightwork... wetsuits tied onto bimini frames... gigantic wheeled gear bags and coolers parked as far away from their bottles as is physically possible? Aren't these the same people who can never find or get to what they need when they're gearing up... complain about the boat not being big enough... and take forever to collect all their stuff at trip's end (usually leaving a fair share of it behind)?

Imagine a diver with his BCD and reg set up on a bottle, bungeed securely in place, with everything else he/she needs stored neatly under the bench, directly beneath his/her rig. Thats better!

pick up PADI's Adventures In Diving manual, and read the chapters on Boat Diving, Deep Diving, and Drift Diving prior to your trip? You could then dive with an instructor in Cozumel and credit the dives toward your advanced certification. The chapters on Underwater Navigation and Peak Performance Bouyancy are also helpful. Dive safely, have fun, and never stop learning!

It's always a good idea to check the boat operators procedures. Do they provide a safety briefing, recall system, check-off procedures. If they dont or you dont understand something - ask them, its their job...

And watch out for swinging guages. I had the very unpleasant experince of being cracked in the head with one while I was puttying on my fins. The guy swung around quickly and smack in the temple. It ruined my whole day and gave me quite the lump.

In my neck of the woods alot of dive charter boats have their own resident instructor on board. You can actually do your boat dive specialty on your trip if their is one on board. Contact the service you are going to use and see if it is possible. The cost of your dives comes out of the training costs generaly so you don't have to pay for the dives as a separate fee. It might be different where you are, but you can come back from your trip with a specialty ticket.
Cheers Big Ears,
There can be only one,
The Gasman

If you do not know how to use the head......Ask! Nothing like taking it out of service at the beginning of a trip....you wont be popular.

Back
Top Bottom