1st UFC fighter on ScubaBoard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow I had so much fun this week. I had the 1st part of my drysuit certification class on Thursday (pool stuff) using a Diving Concepts suit. For my first ever experience with a drysuit I was pretty pleased. I was completely dry when my dive was done and it didn't pinch the hell outta me like I thought it would.

Then just today I went to Aquatic Sports in Portland for a demo of Whites Fusion Tech suit. Talk about freedom and range of motion, damn! That suit has way more dexterity than the Diving Concepts suit I used. The fit was pretty nice as well. However, I was a little concerned at the end of the dive. We had put the MK0 undergarment on under the Fusion. When I crawled out of the suit I was kinda damp. I'm not sure if it was all my sweat/condensation or something else. But I didn't have this experience with the Diving Concepts suit. Then again I was only wearing a t-shirt and shorts under the Diving Concepts suit haha. Maybe one of you have the answer to that mystery. All in all, great week and looking forward to more drysuit dives.

If you just felt damp all over... I'm assuming it's sweat. If your neck/upper chest was wet, maybe some of the undergarment was pulling your neck seal open. If your left arm was wet, could be valve leak.

With my first fusion dive, I was damp all over. I had way too much underwear on for the pool.

Welcome.

over the years I have met several martial arts/boxing enthusiasts are also divers. Not sure what the connection is but some of my most ardent boxing students were also fanatical divers....

I just started training at Frontier Vale Tudo up here in Anchorage, run by a youngster, Danny Malin, who is an excellent coach with what I think is one of the best gyms in town (no I am not competing or even learning MMA, he lets me use his array of bags to do my workout a couple of nights a week). I am amazed at the athleticism required for MMA and the technical aspects of the training.

Dry suits. I have heard good things about Whites but have not used one. I have had a DUI FLX 50/50 and I have been using a Bare Nex Gen for the last several years. Both served me well in and outside of Alaska. The most important thing is how it fits you. No two sized drysuits are cut the same.

Welcome to SB.......here is a suggestion,,,check out Hulu TV on the net, check out the old Sea Hunt show. You might learn something from Mike Nelson. He was an expert at whipp'in up on the bad guys. He would always end up and use his knife on their air hose....Kind of like getting your opponate in a rear-naked choke !!! It might hekp you in your MMA and SCUBA :banana:

Cool; we got an NFL player and a UFC fighter as new members this week. They're skewing the board's demographic younger and fitter. :wink:
Definetly fitter for sure :p

On topic: Welcome to the sport and the board.

More offtopic: I havent been able to follow the UFC for about 5 years :(
Come to think of it Ive gotta find somewhere to do some MMA workout again. Its damn good exercist..

Welcome - you'd be surprised how many Martial Artists are also divers (or is it the other way around?). I'm a former MA school owner and trained a few fighters (one national grappling champion). My scuba mentor, Scott, was a Karateka who punched a makiwara every day for 35 years. He had a habit of showing off his deformed knuckles - that usually caused a lot of cooperation when he needed it. Anyway, I hope you are prepared to spend all your prize winnings on dive gear.

Welcome Mike,

Big fan of UFC, hopefully we get to see it in New York soon

Mate, you need to be extra careful for DCS when recovering after fights, as injuries and scars increase the risk of bubbling. Cheers

Can't really say iof you're the first UFC fighter on SB since I have no clue what one is... but welcome to our world!

Welcome aboard Mike:

Congrats on your latest UFC victory.
I'm a huge UFC fan and an MMA hack. Love the sport but hate hospitals. Don't count on seeing me on TUF anytime soon.

The Fusion is a great DS. Picked one up last year.
The dampness is probably just sweat. Grappling rash guards are great for under the undergarments. If it's water getting in, it may just be that the neck or wrist seals are the wrong size for you, or weren't flat against your skin. That is not a function of the drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom