1st unplanned deco dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How you specifically discuss in the water is up to you, but trying to use accepted hand-signals is ideal whenever possible. In this case the difference from the standards in technical diving is reporting back a "negative" deco value, being the NDL-time remaining. If you are never planning on going into deco, you could just as easily give "deco, number" back if you have pre-established that communication on the surface. If NDL is something that is important to you, then I would recommend that you figure out how you would like to communicate that and ensure your buddy is on the same page to remove and confusion

Yes, but with a quibble.

On recreational dives, the DM is likely to point at you, signal "question" and point at his wrist computer (or bare wrist if you happen to have a console computer) - as distinguished from pointing at an open palm, which would ask about remaining gas. You would respond with "point at computer" and number of minutes of NDL. 99% of the time, that's what you would do. And that, at least in my experience, is the most common recreational signal.

If you have gone into deco, you can reply with the deco sign and minutes - or more likely for recreational level divers, wig wag your hand to show an issue, maybe show your computer to the DM if necessary, and immediately start up to your deco stop, making sure the team is coming up with you in case you need more gas.

Absolutely, have a system with your buddy and work it out, but if you can, the signals should be understandable to others. I bet not one in 20 non-tech divers know the deco sign and, respectfully, I think the "I have a negative on deco, but 15 NDL" sequence would be very confusing to most non-tech divers and probably many tech divers too, because they don't really expect to be asked about NDL and as tbone points out, there isn't even a real "tech" convention for it.

There are 2 standard signals with a clenched fist and pinkie extended. The first is with the pinkie and fist extended. This is the standard sign for deco. Many people are not aware of the second sign, which is a clenched fist with pinkie extended in horizontal orientation. This is the sign for “remaining” and is shown in one of the SSI tech manuals. Use this sign with the pinkie pointing to your computer to ask your buddy for remaining NDL.

Limiting my signals to the "Standards" in my PADI open water manual - and thinking like a rec diver who doesn't plan on any deco - I'd do the "Something's wrong" sign and point at my computer.

I personally don't think signals in "one of the SSI tech manuals" count as standard for a rec diver.

I personally don't think signals in "one of the SSI tech manuals" count as standard for a rec diver.
I was actually taught the signals for “remaining and “deco” before I became a tech diver. The reason I know that the “remaining” signal is in a SSI manual is because the last tech instructor trainer that I trained with showed it to me.

I use tech one hand signals in recreational diving because I hold a camera in one hand and only have one hand free to signal with.

I bet not one in 20 non-tech divers know the deco sign

Agreed - I am one of the 20. You hear the standard "no deco dives" and 'watch your NDL times" during the dive site briefing. Many times I have had the in the water DM check with the group on remaining air pressure at some point during the dive, but I personally have never been given a signal for remaining NDL time. Good information and thanks for sharing.

@Landau

BTW, there is no “standard” deco signal in Padi recreational diving. If you’re going to learn the tech “deco” signal, you may as well learn the signal for “remaining” as well.

@CWK - you misunderstand - I'm not going to learn the tech "deco" symbol. I'm going to use "Something's wrong" then point at my computer

I'm going to use the same signals or into deco or very little NDL remaining. For me the immediate action for both is start to ascend. Especially since this is the New Divers forum.

@Landau

You are at liberty to use any signal that you choose. There are signals for both “deco” and “remaining”, which facilitates efficient communication.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom