1x YS-D2 or 2x YS-01 , opinions please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptainCalamari

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Budget is tight. Pros and cons. To work with a Canon M5 with kit 15-45. Housing will be ikelite. Mixture of wide to macro and most things in between.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

That is tough. You will get more light form a single D2 (Guide number is 32 vs. 20 with the YS-01). Learning to shoot a single strobe is hard but rewarding. I would go with the single D2 (or perhaps buy 2 older D1), it is a much better strobe.
Bill

Tough. More light for the D2, but also more backscatter due to strobe positioning or if you position it to minimize backscatter you will likely get shadows and uneven lighting with just 1.

Do you have a wide angle lens? If you do not, I would get the D2. Using the 01, you’ll need to be way closer for the strobe light to reach your subject since it can’t go as bright as the D2 and if you don’t have a wide angle lens, you won’t be able to capture as much as you may have originally wanted. Subjects and wide scenes will be cut off.

The D2 will be more future proof....you’ll be happier with light output in the long run. When you can afford it, get a second one.

Thanks guys,

The canon m5 15-45mm lens is what I'll be using, which gives a 24-70mm adjusted focal length with crop factor taken in.

I'm now leaning towards a single higher power strobe. Still not sure on S&S D2 or an Inon Z330, anything else is above my pay grade.

I'd get the single D2 and get a second when the budget permits, even if that's a year from now. If you get ys-01 now, sure you'll be a little better off in the short term, but worse off thereafter. Buy one and buy right, even if it takes a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom