2/3 dives per day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TatianaSilva

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
i can imagine this could be another question for disagreement?:D

i wanted to do some reef conservation end of next year after i have some more dives. My worry was that they usually do two or three dives per day, possibly two weeks in my case, so i dont know how my body would react to so many dives, even if i have planned bottom time, surface interval, etc ... but i have just read some divers do 6 in one day ! i guess i shouldnt worry ?

Nothing wrong with doing 2-3 dives in a day. But, you must make sure to either use tables or a computer and track your nitrogen loading. Also, nice, controlled ascents to the surface will help as well. Diving nitrox on an air profile will also add to conservatism.
lots of people spend a week to 2 weeks on live aboard doing multiple dives a day. I just spent a week in Croatia, hours in the water a day, including a day of nothing but ascent work (was on a course), and felt fine the entire week.

Two or three dives a day over 5 to 6 days is standard dive vacation loading for me and Debbie. We are in our early 60's, and it is no problem to dive on that schedule. Just be sure to plan each dive, note you residual nitrogen, and stay within ne decompression limits. If you feel fatigued, take a day off mid week. BTW, my record for dives in one day is 5, when on a liveaboard. However, for the 6 days of diving, I did a total of 23 dives, and average of just under 4 per day, because I did take a couple of half days off to relax and dry out.
DivemasterDennis

Hi Tatiana, welcome here.
My record up to now was when I was 58 years old. I was on a live aboard and did 38 dives in 12 days (using air)
You'll be fine. Of course using Nitrox you'd be a bit saver, but only if you dive the Nitrox like you'd use air.
And like Dennis said: it is not stupid to take a day of to evaporate some gas somewhere in the middle.

Shouldn't be a problem, as far as exposure to excess nitrogen is concerned.

However, you should be in good physical shape. No need to be a marathon athlete, but regular exercise will do you good.

Nothing wrong with 2-3 dives per day, using computer or tables.
I like to use Nitrox, even for not deep dives in this case.
I feel much better after Nitrox dives.
My next trip assume 5 dives per day and 130ft the first. Here I little bit worry, even with Nitrox :)

Five dives daily for a week is routine on liveaboards. It's a good reason to have a Nitrox card, though.

I feel better after diving with Nitrox too. I feel more drowsy after a day of diving on air, like I could use a nap. I don't think it's a myth.

Nitrox is an easy class, and definitely worth it. You'll want to have your own dive computer before then, though. Half of the class is learning how to use your own computer to set the Nitrox percentage and do the Nitrox planning calculations (MOD, PPO2, and dive time remaining).

Besides, if you're going to be diving for 2 weeks, renting a dive computer for that long would cost more than just buying one!

So, I was going to post a question: to Nitrox or not to Nitrox - seems like the vote here is yes. Just read an article discussing the fact that many divers claim to be less tired after diving with Nitrox - they have found no scientific data to support this claim, but say if it seems to work for you go for it. My debate about Nitrox was that the class is pretty expensive and I wasn't sure it was worth it - from what I understand you do some on-line work, then go to the dive shop for a class and that is that - no diving - is that correct?

It depends on who gives the Nitrox class. Why would you want to avoid a couple of dives with an instructor who can give you some feedback and technique tips?

Tatiana, for me (and I'm 60) the hardest thing about 3 dives a day for two weeks is just plain getting tired. If you are conservative with your diving limits, you shouldn't have any issues. A fascinating piece of information is that, if someone is going to get bent on a liveaboard trip, it's most likely to happen on the first day or two of the trip -- the mechanism behind this is not understood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom