2 Day Costa Rica Side trip after Cocos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After surfing, I am with the others on going to the Volcano, very nice. Don't forget there is also deep sea fishing. If you are interested shoot a pm to "Hermosa" here on the board.

tamarindo is your best bet for mellow longboard waves. Both hermosa and dominical can get heavy on a good swell.
Lots of surf spots to choose from in the tamarindo area as well.Although there are many options for you to choose from down there in the surf category.
If you want to know about the surf down there, get a copy of surfers guide to costa Rica. Well worth the money....It was my bible while travelling down there... any surf shop worth it's salt should carry a copy of it...
I'm jealous...enjoy....

pakman:
I've got 2 days to kill after my Cocos trip on the Aggressor. I guess the port is in the town of Puntarenas. One of my old friends who has property has suggested going down to Dominical further to the south. I've heard others recommend Lake Arenal area.

Wouldn't mind getting out to Tamarindo but that might be too far for a 2 day trip. Anyone recommend Jaco beach area for some surfing?

Anyways, I'd love to hear some other recommendations from people.

Only concern I have is I'm gonna have close to 50kg of diving and camera gear, so taking any local puddle jumpers will be difficult...

Transportation: how's driving around Costa Rica? Pretty safe to rent a car and drive around to most tourist areas? Are taxi costs reasonable for long haul trips (2-3hr) to/from San Juan?
I've been to Costa Rica many times ant think its a great place; really beautiful.

The volcano (Arenal) is one of the best things I've ever experienced; however unless you are going late December - April, its the rany season and you stand a good chance of the "cone" being fogged in - I've been there 4 times and saw it once and thats going during the previously mentioned times.

The suggestions about Dominical and Tamarindo are fine, however Jaco, the closest beach to San Jose (2.5 hours by car; good road, just very twisting, up and down the mountains) is not far from Punteranis, and offers good surfing and you can rent boards there. I don't surf but have gone there with friends who do and they liked the surfing there - there is surf there, right in Jaco.

The town is somewhat dirty, but OK - try the Copacabana Hotel; right on the beach and walking distance to town - its close. If Pacific Time rest. is open, go - chef/owner from CA; excellent food. You can do ATV rides, and Canopy Tours (zip line) in Jaco; I've done both; fun.

Its a great place to spend a couple of days and you can check a van service or negociate w/ a taxi driver for transaportation. A bus from Jaco to the San Jose airport is about $6.00; modern, a/c - no one with live chickens, etc on board (at least the couple of times I've taken it....)

I wish I were going because Coco's is my dream destination - my wife does not want to go because she does not want to be on a liveaboard for a week, but I'm working on her. Have a great trip!

Thanks everyone. After reading all the recommendations I wished I had more time on the land portion of my trip to truly appreciate the country, but alas I can take 2 days off after the Cocos trip :(

Well spoke to my old friend over the weekend and he kindly offered to let me crash at his house in Dominical and even arrange to have a car pick me up at pier in Puntarenas when the Okeanos Aggresssor gets back. So I guess it will be a laid back two days on the beach of Dominical :D

Can't go wrong with Dominical! I've spent a lot of time there. You will definately get waves!

You can take a look at our travel site (see the below link) I just came back from guiding a group in Costa Rica for 10 days.
If you only have 10 days and it's in turtle season, go to tortuguero.
HAve fun!

Back
Top Bottom