2 days down - 2 days to go ........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pyromaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, thats my confined water dives out of the way :D

1st day was Saturday, in the pool of Underwater Explorers Portland UK, I admit it - I was not a happy bunny that day, read the book - did the course notes and watched the dvd beforehand, spent FAR too long on here reading tales of woe on mask clearing and other first timer horror stories, I had managed to convince myself the day would be a disaster and that I would be drowned as soon as I looked at the pool.

Well - I am still here ! first off was a brief intro to each other and the instructor and the DM assisting, just the 3 of us students on this course - so a very good ratio of student to instructor, we then went outside to set up the kit and get aquainted with it before heading to the pool. We were all using Halcyon Eclipse bcd's with one piece harness, so we took some time getting this all adjusted for our first dip into the unknown.

First off we all got into the pool just wearing masks and snorkels in the shallow end - just to get a feel for the face in the water, then I was hit with my worst fear straight off " ok - now we will do the same but remove the mask and put your face in the water and we will breath only through our mouths using the snorkel for at least 1 minute.

Damn ! I've been practising this for ages in my bosses pool and never managed to fail to try and snort the pool empty in every attempt. Result - perfect, not one drop of water through my nose and surprisingly easy (ish) a real confidence booster for me. Maybe it was because there was someone there with me, I dont know.

This was short lived though - gear on - still shallow end - check each other over, and depress the deflator button and down we go, well - as soon as I got to my head under water I lost it - not so far as to stand back up again, or bin my reg, but I couldnt breath - well I thought I couldnt, straining to suck air in but it seemed like my airway said 'no way - your under water - we're not letting anything through' the DM was straight there in front of me - inches away, eye to eye, giving the hold sign - dont try and go down, stay right there, then signing me to breath - big in and out - I dont think I blinked or took my eyes off of his for about 30 seconds, but eventually I got air in and slowly got my composure back and made it to my knees in the shallow end of the pool. ok's were exchanged and we all just sat there just getting used to it for a while. the rest of the day is pretty much a blur of activity, mask clearing, mask removal, fin pivots, OOA excercises, and classroom work. Come the end of the day I was shattered, physically and emotionally, I was still very anxious the whole day and did have several more anxious breathing moments. This is how day one ended !

Day 2 - today .....

Well - I was not sure I wanted to go back today, I was still very tired, still very anxious and not at all sure of myself underwater, in fact I spent a good deal of last night telling myself reasons why I shouldnt go back, including to be kind to my buddies and not have them become my rescuers.

We spent the first half of the morning in the classroom, and then headed off to the pool, anxiety in full flow, giant strides and back rolls, both no problem, but hard to do back rolls from a poolside when the water is level with the edge of the pool surround, OOA again, alternate air sharing and swim, Hogarthian style with donation of the primary then switching to the alternate on a necklace round the neck, fin pivots, bouyancy skills and hovering, weightbelt removal and replace on the surface and submerged, it was around this time we tried a mask replacement for me, first was a Halcyon one piece glass, black skirts, my own one, fits fine. But fogged up whatever we tried, maybe the hot humid pool air? anyway - we tried a different mask, twin lens with clear skirts, and I was transformed, from always anxious to a lot calmer, I think I had issues with tunnel vision - literally, and was never clear on my surroundings or where everyone else was with the black mask. The rest of the day was quite enjoyable, we did CESA's, no mask swims underwater, doff and don of full kit on the surface and underwater with no assistance, freeflow breathing, a very busy day but I felt like I had a great burden lifted from myshoulders, strange how a change of mask could alter my mood so much.

We ended the day having completed all of the confined water dives and excercises required, I still ache all over and feel like I have been hit by a truck, it was a long day - but I feel so much better now. Next - open water dives in Portland Harbour :D

Way to go Pyro...I start tomorrow in Exmouth - a little nervous this evening. Let us know how you get on with the OW dives :)

Thanks Jon-boi, best advice from a very newbie - take it slow, trust your instructor or dm, dont do anything until your told to do it, do it when YOU are ready whatever it is. the hand up 'stop/hold' sign is your friend. your instructor will understand it takes a lot to convice your body/brain its a fish .........

Pyro,

After you've been doing this for awhile, you won't even need to think about 99% of that stuff, it will all be automatic, then you'll really start to have fun.....

When you get to go tropical diving, you will kick yourself for not starting dive training sooner.....

It sounds like the shop you're working with is doing as good as job as I would have expected of them :) Congratulations on getting through the pool days, and have fun with the open water dives.

Pyromaniac:
Come the end of the day I was shattered, physically and emotionally, I was still very anxious the whole day and did have several more anxious breathing moments. This is how day one ended !

Heh.. I just have about 15 dives, and I still go home after some dives like yesterday feeling shattered physically.. Granted I've taken to doing a pair of shore dives every Saturday with the local shop folk, so the location is chosen by the DM and most of the other folks. The entry/exit from the dive site (not the water) was a pain. 300 yard walk through small trail in the woods then down a bunch of big boulders to the dive entry/exit point (on the rocks, literally). 2 dives later, carrying 200 lbs of equipment over 3 trips back uphill was a rough one. Heh.

Good luck with your OW certification! It's a real blast even though you will wonder if you should be doing it. Insecurity and a bit of nerves are expected, normal, and even a good thing as it'll keep you on your toes and more respectful of the open water.

You think your tired after that....I'm in the split weekend course. Yesterday was all class. Today we spent 7 hours in the pool doing everyone of those excersices then some. I was tired in the beginning of class after our 8 laps in the pool then treading water for 10 min. I loved every minute of it. I am exhausted though. Im totally stoked about hitting the lake next weekend!!!!!!!wish me luck,and good luck to you pyro!!

Congratulations on the completion of your confined water. I too completed my confined water this weekend. It was so much fun!!! i will do my OW next weekend. I cant wait. I am sore as well. Hamstring are killin me. It was all worth it though. Good Luck on your OW and let us know how it goes....

Back
Top Bottom