2 days in Cairns area - what to do? Help please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello diving community!

Four of us are headed to Cairns in July. First time to the Reef for all of us, and two are coming from the UK for a very short trip. Only one of us are a diver, the rest of us will either do introductory dives or just snorkel (I'm happy to do a bit of free-diving).

We want to experience the best the reef has to offer, and I'm not sure what to go for. At the moment I am leaning towards:

Coral Sea Dreaming. I like the idea of a liveaboard trip, as we spend more time on the reef. Eg I'm sure a dawn dive/snorkel would be amazing. What I am wondering is though - will the diving/snorkel spots be good? They say they go to the outer reef, places like Flynn and Milne reefs.

I would love to hear feedback and suggestions from people with experience all over the reef. Would this be a perfect introductory trip to the reef?

Or would we be better off paying the dough to get up to Agincourt reefs? Or are some of the Cay's around Cairns truly spectacular?

Any suggestions and feedback from those of you with experience on the reef would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks so much,

Liam

Hi Liam!

As most of your group are not certified divers, I would definitely recommend Coral Sea Dreaming from Cairns. As its name suggest, this boat is a dream for divers and non-divers alike. So if your fellow travelers want to do a DSD or just snorkel, Coral Sea Dreaming will allow for that flexibility. Plus, as a budget-friendly liveaboard, this boat is offers great value for money.

In terms of location, with only two days to play, you can’t go wrong with the Outer Reefs which offer some of the best experiences on the Reef. If you want to get acquainted with what the Great Barrier Reef has to offer, Coral Sea Dreaming’s itinerary is perfect.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask!

Hi!

Can any one recommend any GOOD dive operators that go to the outer reef besides Mike Ball and Spirit of Freedom? both are fully booked for my dates. we are interested in doing around 3 nights on an LOB. We are two people and our dates would be around november 20 to 26... flexible on those dates.

Hi adad28!

If you want to go to the Outer Reefs, you’re probably going to need to go by liveaboard. For that purpose, there are two quality boats available for your dates. Unfortunately, these boats only offer 1 or 2 night itineraries during your dates.

Pro Dive Cairns - Departs daily for Milln Reef, Thetfor Reef, Flynn Reef and Pillow Reef. Trips are 3D/2N.

Coral Sea Dreaming - Departs on Nov. 22nd and 24th for a “Sail and Dive” itinerary. Trips last 2D/1N.

I hope this information helps. Don’t hesitate to send any more questions you might have. Enjoy your trip!

Back
Top Bottom