2 months late... our June trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moodiejeff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I wrote up this trip report on the plane going down to Coz... I know it’s pretty late but what the heck, here it is anyway. It’s short and to the point with some cutting and pasting from previous posts. I’ll try not to wait 2 more months to get the latest one done.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here I sit (August 23) on the flight down to Cozumel for our third time this year... I figured it was about time to write up a quick little trip report from our last trip which we are now 2 months removed. June 20-27.

Flew down on a charter through Funjet on United, I’ll tell ya, a direct flight from Chicago is sure nice! Was dismayed to see that it was pouring when we landed. Christi picked us up from the airport in her new, shiny and unfortunately wet truck Lola. She was dropping off Chris & Gina as they were flying out that day. Chris suggested lunch so we could get to know each other as they had some time to kill so we all headed to Guido’s for a nice lunch of good food and great company. Chris even picked up the tab, what posessed him to buy us lunch I’ll never understand but I’m forever grateful. I owe ya one buddy! I hope we get the chance to dive together someday.

We stayed at The Presidente again, nothing but the best for us! We actually got the exact room that Chris & Gina had just vacated. It wasn’t quite ready when we checked in... I wonder what they we’re doing in there :wink: As usual The Presidente didn’t disappoint and it even seemed to be a little better service wise. Damn expensive though!

Diving was through Blue XT~Sea and Christi’s crew didn’t disappoint. Most dives were with Pedro as DM but we had Javier 2 days and Christi as our DM another. All 3 provided highlights to the trip. Pedro found us 2 seahorses together, Javier found us another seahorse and Christi took us to Chun Chacab on a day where Mago called the conditions “Perfecto”. All in all, we did 20 dives over 7 days, I won’t bore you with all the details.

We had a core group on the boat almost all week of Glen, Nicole, Dave, Mikki, Mia and Me. It was a real treat to have such a good group diving together all week. It makes a huge difference when you get a group that clicks like we did.

We got to meet a few other Scubaboarders while down there... Kent (divedoggie) and his girlfriend’s brother and Steve (O’Malley) his wife and one of their friends. Steve I actually knew from back in the day when we worked together. What a small world.

Another thing we tried this trip was to rent a motorcycle... yes, I said motorcycle - not scooter - from Tony Rome. Granted, it was pretty small (150cc) but it sure beats those crappy scooters they have down there! It was nice to have the freedom to explore the island whenever we wanted... not that we had too much time considering all the diving we did!

Food:
1. Lobster tail at Prima was the best (again!) and the company (Christi) wasn't too bad either Mia had the seafood combo fettucine which was pretty darn good too.
2. Crab stuffed Salmon at Acuario was out of this world. I don't think of Salmon as a "tropical" fish dish but it was amazing. Mia had Mahi and that was good too.
3. Mesa 17 - Crab stuffed Grouper was a close third. Plus their cheesecake dessert is one of my favorites anywhere... yes anywhere, not just Cozumel.
4. Shrimp Zambal at Especias. A bunch of Scubaboarders met up there and we had a fantastic time.
5. The Wahoo marinated in Balsamic Vinegar over veggies at Guido's was our 1st meal on the island and was really good (and free, thanks again Chris!!!). Went there for dinner towards the end of the trip and was extremely disappointed. Was hit & miss this trip.

Wrap up:
An exceptional trip slightly marred by a few things out of or control - Way too much rain and unrelenting mosquitos.

Ahhh, we’re flying over the Yucatan peninsula right now... I’m sure I will add to this but I’m gonna end for now in preperation for our next adventure. 9 days in our little slice of Paradise!

Just got back today from my latest trip and wanted to add a few things...

As reported by many there is some damage to the coral on certain sites but it is nothing that should keep you from travelling to Coz, it is still a great place to dive.

Visibility was pretty darn good... maybe not quite back to pre-Emily quality but still excellent.

Reading someone's TR always brings back memories, so thanks for sharing. So maybe we can expect the latest trip report by Christmas? :wink:

Seriously, it was a pleasure meeting you guys--I wish our trips had overlapped a little more. But the beauty of Coz is that there's always a next time! :)

Angie

Nice trip report. It was great diving with you and Mia. I hope you guys had a great time... again! It sounds like the vis was pretty good. You sure got it right on the food. I had 2, 3, and 4 and they we're all great. And who can forget fried cheesecake?

Get the next trip report up a bit sooner if you can. Some of us don't get to go to Coz every eight weeks. :wink: Can't wait to see your pics too.

gdenny:
Nice trip report. It was great diving with you and Mia. I hope you guys had a great time... again! It sounds like the vis was pretty good. You sure got it right on the food. I had 2, 3, and 4 and they we're all great. And who can forget fried cheesecake?

Get the next trip report up a bit sooner if you can. Some of us don't get to go to Coz every eight weeks. :wink: Can't wait to see your pics too.
Uhhhh, I don't know how many good pics there are... Camera & strobe malfunctions in addition to a bit of particulate in the water did not add up to too many good pics. I only had my external strobe for half the trip and Mia's camera flooded AGAIN! Mago made it worthwhile by making the following out of the ruins of her housing.

A pretty nice souvenir, that's for sure. Definitely one of the coolest gifts we've ever gotten. It will forever be one of our prized possessions.

I wanted to take a photo/camera course with Holly but she was in the states due to a personal matter. One of these days I will learn enough to take it off of PHD (push here dummy). I really should have tried experimenting 'cause most of my pics turned out really bad. I figure I can get about 20 postworthy pics out of the bunch. Pedro found us those 2 Seahorses on Punta Tunich again but they wouldn't cooperate and pose like they did last time.

As far as food goes, Mesa 17 blew everybody out of the water. We ate there twice and each time it was phenomenal. We hit the new La Cocay twice and it was pretty uneven both times. Great appetizers but marginal dinners. La Pearlita was pretty good too.

Jeff, a "small world" it is...wish we could have met up with you, Mia and other scubaboarders at Casa Denis. Perhaps, we'll see you once again on Coz...with the frequency of your visits, I'd say the chances are darn good.

Back
Top Bottom