2 new divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scallop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My 11yr old son and myself finished our OW check dives on 12/23/11. I am as proud of him as can be, he is a natural fish. We decided to do Christmas a little different this year and instead of spending gobs of $$ on toys and such that would be piled on top of other useless junk we took the family to Key Largo. It has been great playing in the 80 degree south Florida weather, worst part is now it is time to go back to the cold drearyness of Ohio. I am looking forward to spending tons of quality time with my son underwater, we will be spending time working on our skills as much as possible in our LDS pool and hope to get back to the Keys this spring or early summer. We will be frequenting our local quarries when it warms up a bit but there is nothing like warm clear sea-water!

Welcome and what a great start! It's nice to see a Dad bringing kiddos to scuba. My dad did the same for me when I was 11...of course that was in 1986, but still a nice thing to see. Merry Christmas. :santa1:

Congrats to you both. Glad you enjoyed your time down here.

Outstanding! Welcome from a fellow Cbus suburbanite (Blacklick)

My 11yr old son and myself finished our OW check dives on 12/23/11. I am as proud of him as can be, he is a natural fish. We decided to do Christmas a little different this year and instead of spending gobs of $$ on toys and such that would be piled on top of other useless junk we took the family to Key Largo. It has been great playing in the 80 degree south Florida weather, worst part is now it is time to go back to the cold drearyness of Ohio. I am looking forward to spending tons of quality time with my son underwater, we will be spending time working on our skills as much as possible in our LDS pool and hope to get back to the Keys this spring or early summer. We will be frequenting our local quarries when it warms up a bit but there is nothing like warm clear sea-water!

Congratulation!!! I am happy for your enthusiasm. Dive safe and as much as you can. Take some classes in between too but concentrate on the diving part.

Sounds like my idea of a great Christmas! I think the Keys are a great dive destination for new divers, and everyone else too. Stay active and salty, my new dive friends!
DuvemasterDennis

We are in similar dive boat:) My son is 10. We ignored tough economics and went to get our OW dives in Cabo. Now we have logged some boat dives in local, not so warm but really fun, waters. I am not sure so far how my son could manage shore diving (I'm pretty sure he will be alright but still worry how 105Lb 5'1" will fare against wave action with bunch of gear on his back, even though he is very fit for his age). We plan to get more experience next year and do our AOW after logging at least 15 more dives. Dive, dive and then dive some more. Every dive makes us better divers, you can clearly see the difference between dive #5 and #9. Size does matter, though, you need to learn that your son may not be able to always bail you out in trouble, you gotta take better care of yourself.

This experience will stay with your son for the rest of his life and he will always think his dad is the coolest dad ever. Another benefit that SCUBA taught him and I see affecting his everyday life-he just doesn't panic anymore. We have had long discussions about "panic kills underwater" and he learned to calm down, think and then act under all kind of stress.

Congrats to you both! We might run into you guys at Circleville in the summer!

Congratulations. A great and smart idea for a gift.

You are right about Columbus being gray..but we got lucky the past few days seeing the sunshine.

Fair amount of divers from Columbus on SB. Check out the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew posts and the Drive to Dive sub-forum.

Warning: diving those Ohio quarries can be addictive.

Dave from NW Columbus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom