2 recent days of Diving in Palm Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@dumpsterDiver nice shooting. Do you ever post video of the dismounting of the fish from gun to bag or hook? I know it makes for bad video. I haven't speargun hunted and would like to see the other aspects of it.

@dumpsterDiver nice shooting. Do you ever post video of the dismounting of the fish from gun to bag or hook? I know it makes for bad video. I haven't speargun hunted and would like to see the other aspects of it.

Generally I don't show that part of the "process" because I didn't think it to be interesting. When you use a stringer, it is often best to string it before removal from the shaft. However, in my local waters there are too many sharks, so i don't use a stringer. I have a home made bag which has trap doors that can handle lobster and some decent fish. Often I will scramble the fish's brain before putting it into the bag to reduce vibrations that attract sharks.. and it is a nice thing to do - I suppose.

I like to add stringing fish in my videos but they rarely make it into the frame with my mask mounted GoPro so they often get edited.

This is one rare video where my GoPro was angled down and so they made it into the video. It is also the beginning of my spearfishing career and you can see how timid, slow and stupid I was. It was all new to me. I was taking too much time to get the fish on the stringer. I wasn't securing the fish under the gills. I was rising up exposing myself to predators. All around not doing a good job after the shot. And finally I wasn't paying attention to my navigation. Too much too soon, but valuable lessons learned.

I'm much better today than I used to be. Thanks in part to a lot of advice from @dumpsterDiver and others that have helped me.

That was fun to watch, you were shooting well, but all the other stuff was, as you described "not optimal".

It looked like it took forever for you to decide to throw the gun down after the shot. I am so trained to do that, that I would loose a floating gun immediately. It takes a while until all the fish handling etc. becomes second nature.

The shark call routine on the surface was pretty funny. kicking, splashing, holding the gun upside down and keeping the bait down in the water. Reason number 5004 why it is nice to have a snorkel, out of air on the surface with sharks and fish.. sure is nice to be able to keep your face down and your eye on them..

this video shows how NOT to handle a fish.. pretty well..

Shooting the fish is about the only thing I was doing right. I should have spent more time observing other divers, but I jumped right in to it. You watch videos online and think, "Ahh, this is easy!" No, not really. It takes a lot of skill and ability. You are immediately task loaded the moment you descend with a gun. There's a lot to think about and circumstances and things happen quickly. Case and point, I miscalculated my navigation. For any other diver navigation is something you should always be thinking about. Spearfishing, you're thinking about 10 more things. Where's the fish, is that fish legal, where's the sharks, practice safe gun handling, etc. etc. You can't lose focus on good diving practices.

You really need to be a good diver to be a good spearo.

My advice @cruisekingkris, if you're interested in fishing, tag along with some spearos and bring a gun for self defense (and beer, gas money, and boat snacks), but don't shoot anything for your first couple trips. Watch them and take mental notes. Then practice shooting inanimate targets to get familiar with your gun and then when you feel comfortable, start harvesting some easier reef fish before you start targeting more dangerous species.

Needless to say, I learned a lot last year. I'm really looking forward to progressing more this year.

Wow @dumpsterDiver that seems like a lot of work. Maybe I will stick to plucking lobsters out of tight spots.

@CuzzA do you float a flag while down?

We don't have the currents here on the Gulf side of Florida like they do on the East Coast, so we usually just drop a buoy on the ledge or patch reef. Dive it and if you're not an idiot you'll come right back up near the buoy. We keep the boat live and of course display the flag on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom