2 recent deaths where snorkelers happened to be using full face masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay sure...but, the type of person using this is not likely to be practicing or using this on a lot of occasions. possible yes, but unlikely. If you have to practice a few times, that doesn't sound too easy, especially for a novice that is nervous to begin with

Try one on sometime. Report back.

Seriously, how can you extrapolate future FFM deaths from those numbers?

With my offsum krystal ballz, like I said. Point is, they had 12 deaths on the red line, 42% of them snorkelers, back in 2007 when IIRC those masks weren't around yet. I winder if anyone investigated the masks back then.

With my offsum krystal ballz, like I said. Point is, they had 12 deaths on the red line, 42% of them snorkelers, back in 2007 when IIRC those masks weren't around yet. I winder if anyone investigated the masks back then.

What was the sample size then and now? Mo touristos now perhaps? Mo alcohol? Is weed legal out there? So many questions...

What was the sample size then and now? Mo touristos now perhaps? Mo alcohol? Is weed legal out there? So many questions...

The sample size is infinite with the offsum krystal ballz. It's 100% accurate. Any fool knows that. Weed, alcohol, doesn't matta (it appears that some here could use a bit of either/or). Seems that there are some self proclaimed experts in dese incidents tho

Last edited:
The sample size is infinite with the offsum krystal ballz. It's 100% accurate. Any fool knows that. Weed, alcohol, doesn't matta (it appears that some here could use a bit of either/or). Seems that there are some self proclaimed experts in dese incidents tho

"I don't recall where but I read somewhere that these masks can sometimes be tough to take off due to the seal."

I read somewhere that the earth is flat. Can't remember where I read it. Probably same source as your "tight seal". Have you actually ever seen one? Talk about internet experts on SB.

Long on speculation and supposition, decidedly short on facts & evidence.

"I don't recall where but I read somewhere that these masks can sometimes be tough to take off due to the seal."

I read somewhere that the earth is flat. Can't remember where I read it. Probably same source as your "tight seal". Have you actually ever seen one? Talk about internet experts on SB.

Please don't bring religion into this

It sounds like your seal might be too tight. Something is too tight at least

Attachments

• IMG_0556.JPG
    IMG_0556.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

Oh please. Do I have to do everything? It's a google away: around 2.3 mil/year give or take a couple hundred thou. Let 2 million people a year in your bathtub, I guarantee you a dozen will drown there. You may blame cheap chinese knock-offs for a couple of them that wore masks, it's entirely up to you of course.

Edit: more accurately, a dozen of them will die there: people do that. Some will do it in the water, get water in the lungs, and the COD will be recorded as "drowning".

This has nothing to do with being a self-proclaimed groundhog, it's just a basic clue about how large numbers work.

Last edited:
Spent twelve years (earning a useless Phd) trying to figure out how numbers work. Still don't have a clue. But I do know that FFMs are not a BFD in HI drownings.

Spent twelve years (earning a useless Phd) trying to figure out how numbers work. Still don't have a clue. But I do know that FFMs are not a BFD in HI drownings.

It was a generic you as in "one", I get it that personal you don't believe in the masks being a factor anymore than I do. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom