200 yard surface swim..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpsexton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My son, my brother-in-law, and myself will be starting our SSI OW course this weekend. I am a little concerned about a couple of things. First one is I just found out that the class will be 9 people. Is that too many? The second thing is the 200 yard surface swim. They say it is untimed. Does that mean you can stop and rest at the edge of the pool or would you have to tread water and rest? Maybe it means you can just be a slow swimmer but cannot stop and rest at all? I may be able to do the swim but I am a pretty unefficient swimmer and I do get tired. Any thoughts or advise on this?

Thanks,

John

Not sure about SSI, but if it's like PADI, the test is untimed but you may not stop to rest at the side of the pool. When I did mine, I swam on my back, slowly kicking and paddling, essentially in a resting position. Worked for me. Good luck.

Oh, and I don't think a class of 9 is too big, especially if there is more than one instructor or a divemaster helping out. Even with just one instructor, 9 seems fine.

John -
We had about 8 people in my PADI class and it worked out fine. The swim shouldn't be too big of a problem, especially since it's not timed. Just go slow and steady and take it one lap at a time. Also, PADI will give you the option of doing a swim w/ fins, mask and snorkel, but it's 300m.
Good Luck.
T

Gernerally, you cannot take a rest break mid-swim. I would highly suggest taking an adult swim lesson. If you pursue SCUBA, swimming ability is extremely important for obvious safety reasons. Practice a bit before the class if you can. Also practice treading water.

I used to teach adult swim lessons quite a bit. Often, it is not a class on how to swim, but rather help you improve your efficiency and technique. I'd bet your local YMCA offers them.

Don't sweat it. Your instructor does not want you to fail, so they will help you as best they can.

Thank you for posting this question, as I was just about to ask the same.

So let me get this straight; the 200 yd swim can be done in any manner? It doesn't matter how you swim it as long as you swim without resting??

I'm getting ready to do my course also and wondered about the 200 yd swim test. I'm alittle concerned about my husband, he is thin and sinks in a cup of water :) He cannot tread, how difficult is it to learn?

Thanks!
Tricia

jpsexton:
My son, my brother-in-law, and myself will be starting our SSI OW course this weekend. I am a little concerned about a couple of things. First one is I just found out that the class will be 9 people. Is that too many? The second thing is the 200 yard surface swim. They say it is untimed. Does that mean you can stop and rest at the edge of the pool or would you have to tread water and rest? Maybe it means you can just be a slow swimmer but cannot stop and rest at all? I may be able to do the swim but I am a pretty unefficient swimmer and I do get tired. Any thoughts or advise on this?

Thanks,

John

Yes, as long as you don't stop, you can do the 200m any way you wish. But if he can't tread, he will have a problem doing the 10 minute tread right after (or whenever they make you do it). Have him practice floating on his back, since I personally prefer this over treading myself.

The 200m swim did make me realize how out of shape I was, more in a lack of endurance way.

Oh my bad, I said 200 yd, it's 200m ok... taking him to the pool this weekend! Thanks for the info!

Tricia

BrianS:
Yes, as long as you don't stop, you can do the 200m any way you wish. But if he can't tread, he will have a problem doing the 10 minute tread right after (or whenever they make you do it). Have him practice floating on his back, since I personally prefer this over treading myself.

The 200m swim did make me realize how out of shape I was, more in a lack of endurance way.

I'm not sure that this will help out or not, but my wife and I just completed our first weekend of class + confined water dives + swim/float

Trust me, my wife and I and not in shape very much at all, and we were able to do it. I swam mostly doing the butterfly kick (not sure if that's the correct term of not) both on my back and right side up, there is no stopping and resting durring the swim, but if you roll over on your back and float kick, it's just like resting. Just remember that there is NO TIME LIMIT, if your rush, you'll get tired and won't be able to do it, if you pace yourself, you'll be fine.

I also have the sinking problem. I float best when on my back, I'll have my head tipped back a bit so my ears are in the water, and I try to fill my chest with air as much as possible, then I just breath slowly and steadily. Before you know it 10 min's is up!

It's 200 Meters and rarely do people fail to do it. Just go slow and take it easy. Do a little on your back, turn over and do a little freestyle, dog paddle. It doesn't matter as long as you complete the distance.

As far as the class size, we have 10 students at a time and it's fine. We usually have at least 2 Divemasters and sometimes more which makes it much easier. I don't think 9 will be a problem.

Scott

In our class, we were given the 300yrd, fins, mask and snorkel option. I found that to be much easier than regular swim. With the fins, you are obviously going to move through the water much easier and the ability to keep you head down in the water while normally breathing prevents having to go on your back to rest. Even with the extra 100 yards, I found it much easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom