2009 Akona Evolution Bag AKB159

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hypersonic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Purchased two of these bags from LP earlier this year, cost $230 each.

Was willing to pay more to get a bullet proof bag, instead I suspect I purchased $460 worth of grief. Also the weight of the bags each top 14 lbs. Didn't mind paying the weight penalty either if it translated to durability...it didn't!

Both bags are back at LP for repair since they are warranted for 24 months. Since we do 5 dive trips per year, also suspect this is not the last time the bags will travel to NYC (well actually Jersey).

Here is my review as posted on the LP web site:

Was quite pleased with my purchase of two Evolution bags and even took one to an evening divers get together to show off what I thought was a well designed product that should have incorporated years of development on the part of Akona.

Big wheels so it pulls easy, 5/16" bolts for axles that I could change myself if they got bent. Heavy duty handles for lifting, perfect size for scuba gear and dry clothes for a week of diving.

Unfortunately, a chain is no stronger than its weakest link and the Evolution bag has a couple of weak links.

After a May trip to Belize, both bags had seams rip out in exactly the same place. The covering over the padding in the top grip. Not a problem that compromised the integrity of the bag but annoying none-the-less. And with both bags failing, an obvious design deficiency.

My wife and I just returned from a dive trip to the Red Sea. Now one of the bags has a good size tear in the side of the bag where a sharp corner on the plastic frame, cut the nylon side of the bag. The plastic frame should have been padded.

Based on what I am seeing, I don't think the bags will last six trips. The bags have a premium price, they are not a premium product!

I had a similar experience. I purchased the Evolution bag last month in preparation for a trip to photograph great white sharks at Isle Guadalupe. Since I didn't need to transport any scuba gear other than a couple masks, the Evolution was primarily packed with a small amount of photography equipment (only my dome port and a small UK box), clothing, and personal items. Completely packed, the bag was less than the airline limits of 50 (by a lot) and certainly less than if I had brought along dive gear.

After my first airline flight with this bag from Hartford to San Diego, the bag already had its first tear and zipper problem. The tear was in the same place as the prior posting (fabric over the top handle).

By the end of my trip, the main zipper that closes the bag was stuck. Thankfully I could use the other to get the bag closed and get home.

I'll be taking the bag back to my LDS this week for repair work. Suspect they'll ship it back to Akona for replacement. Hopefully they have good customer service.

Its really too bad with these issues. I like the look, size, and capabilities of this bag. However, I worry about its durability. However, I can't be carrying my dive gear and photo equipment around the world and have my bag tear of a zipper get stuck mid-trip.

I own 5 various Akona bags. Obviously a product I like. I have no complaints so far as they all have survived a year completely unscathed.

The least the rep could do however is to answer the 2 postings above.

FOLLOW-UP:

I finally got around to taking the damaged bag to the local dive shop I purchased it from. After a quick inspection of the bag and my original receipt, they exchanged my old bag for a new one. They also commented that Akona is very good handling warranty exchanges.

I really like the style and size of this bag, so I am hopeful that the replacement bag holds up better.

I finally had the opportunity to use my replacement Evolution bag on an extended trip. No dive or photo gear involved this time :depressed:, but my bag was loaded with several weeks of clothing and work materials.

After three flights over 2 weeks and lots of opening/closing all the compartments, I can happily report that the bag held up very well. Other than the normal airline bumps and scrapes, no issues with the zippers or any other part of the bag.

Although it will take a few more trips before I'm 100% confident with this bag, I really like its design and function. Hmmmm....maybe an extended dive vacation soon is what I need to get over my insecurities...Bonaire, Palau, .... ???

mwall04 and hypersonic,

I am looking for a travel bag for my dive gear also. I do like Akona products, but these posts scared me away form the bags in question. Please keep us informed as to how well the replacements hold up. If they hold up well, I'll buy one or two. Thanks for the posts!

mwall04 and hypersonic,

I am looking for a travel bag for my dive gear also. I do like Akona products, but these posts scared me away form the bags in question. Please keep us informed as to how well the replacements hold up. If they hold up well, I'll buy one or two. Thanks for the posts!

I've yet to have another long-distance dive trip since my first trip with this bag, but I have been using it for extended business or personal travel. Most recently I took my bag on a two week long trip to Europe (Spain, France, Italy, and Croatia).

Since my original issues, my replacement bag has performed flawlessly. The bag shows very little of the normal wear and tear my other bags get with air travel and no issues with the zippers since the problems with my first bag.

I continue to love the size and handling of this bag, so I'm hopeful my first one was a rare production defect.

Trying to squeeze in a live aboard dive trip before the end of the year, so I'll report back if that trip happens and give another update.

mwall04 and hypersonic,

I just returned from a 9 day trip down to Guadalupe Island for great white shark diving. Since I originally bought the Akona for this same trip in 2009 (see my bag review in previous post), I took it along this time.

I really want to like this bag. It is the perfect size for what I carry. My bag didn't suffer any major zipper failures, but like my first dive trip with this bag, I had two issues.

Like my first trip (and the original poster's comments) the fabric ripped again at the top handle. Doesn't impair (yet) your ability to use the handle, but this is my 2nd tear here on this bag. More troublesome was one of the top compartment zippers losing a "tooth" (not sure what its called?). With some pliers I was able to close it, but without it, I would have had to leave to pocket open which would give someone easy access straight into my bag.

Again, I want to love this bag. Will probably take it on my next trip (along with a couple rolls of duct tape just in case). However, if I was looking for a new bag, I'd look elsewhere.

I just returned from a 9 day trip down to Guadalupe Island for great white shark diving. Since I originally bought the Akona for this same trip in 2009 (see my bag review in previous post), I took it along this time.

I really want to like this bag. It is the perfect size for what I carry. My bag didn't suffer any major zipper failures, but like my first dive trip with this bag, I had two issues.

Like my first trip (and the original poster's comments) the fabric ripped again at the top handle. Doesn't impair (yet) your ability to use the handle, but this is my 2nd tear here on this bag. More troublesome was one of the top compartment zippers losing a "tooth" (not sure what its called?). With some pliers I was able to close it, but without it, I would have had to leave to pocket open which would give someone easy access straight into my bag.

Again, I want to love this bag. Will probably take it on my next trip (along with a couple rolls of duct tape just in case). However, if I was looking for a new bag, I'd look elsewhere.
Did you call the manufactuer? Or dealer? that would be my first course of action. Then i would tell them what happend and ask for another replacement or my $ back. I'm sure they will accomodate you, do to being a stand up company.

Did you call the manufactuer? Or dealer? that would be my first course of action. Then i would tell them what happend and ask for another replacement or my $ back. I'm sure they will accomodate you, do to being a stand up company.

Akona's policy as it was stated to me during my issues with bag #1 was all problems had to be worked through the dive shop I purchased it through. As I posted previously, the first bag was replaced by the local dive shop.

My concern is not with Akona's return policy, its that I've taken this model bag on two extended dive trips and have to return them after each trip. My previous bag lasted 20 years, so I know I'm not abusing my dive bags.

If I didn't have to be concerned on every trip that I'm going to suffer a major zipper issue, then I'd actually like the fact that I get a new bag after every trip. However, it gets old packing a roll of duct tape out of fear of zipper problems and not being able to seal the bag.

Again...love the size of the bag, love the style, but not sold on the durability.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom