2010 BSA Jamboree Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmmeenehan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A team of about 220 dedicated scouters put about 20,300 scouts through a discover scuba-like experience at the recent National Boy Scout Jamboree. After their time in the water the scouts viewed exhibits presented by PADI, SUDS, Olympus, DAN and others.

Here's to hoping that Scuba is included in the plan for the new Jambo site in West Virginia for 2013!

the new jambo site look amazing i hope they can find a spot for SCUBA. maybe there will be a huge pool to rival nasa's dive pool.

The 4 pools used at the Jamboree are 40'x80'x4'. They are above ground pools that have been taken down and stored between Jamborees.

Initial lobbying for scuba to be included at the new West Virginia site to the planners brought the response "Can't you just do that in the lakes?". Obvious to anyone associated with scuba is that a clear, confined water-like environment is needed for "Discover Scuba" experience for thousands of scouts.

With the pools available from past Jamborees the planners would just have to design a flat area and lay in a good sized water main for a first stage solution. Later phases could include permanent pools.

Great to hear. I always wanted a scuba diving merit badge all through scouting (that's when I did my open water in those years - and later finished my Eagle Scout as well). I was very glad to hear that they finally created this badge and that my LDS participates in the counselling.

It was announced at the BSA Aquatics Conference at the Florida Sea Base earlier this month that Scuba was being planned for the 2013 Jamboree at the new facility in West Virginia (The Summit). I'd say it is too early to tell for sure, but it is sounding good for scuba!

Back
Top Bottom