2016 Barracuda Near Attack, looking for causes, behavioral analysis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie Vergos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi yall. I posted this in the accidents and incidents thread too, but then saw this and thought it a better forum.

A few months ago I had a Barracuda encounter and was hoping you guys could help explain the barracuda's behavior and maybe give some advice on how to better deal with the situation next time:

So last September, I was snorkeling off the beach on Great Exuma, Bahamas and, not seeing much close to shore, swam out a ways. The water was very warm and clear and there was a reef off in the distance I was headed toward.

As I approached it, it seemed the reef was much farther out than it appeared and, about 400 feet from shore, though the water depth was only about 6-8 feet. I decided to give up and turn back.

Just as I did, I saw it. I'd say about 5.5 feet long, full adult. About 10 feet away from me. It just appeared, I hadn't seen where it came from.

I've dove around plenty of barracuda and usually feel safe, but those had always been in the context of a coral reef, with plenty of barracuda's natural prey about. This felt different, as there were no other fish in the area, just me and the barracuda, staring at me, highly aware of my presence.

I probably made the wrong move here, but I immediately began to swim back to shore as fast as I could, kicking my fins with my back to shore to face the barracuda. I think the distance from shore made me panic a bit. The barracuda began to follow me at the same speed, about 3-4 feet away, sometimes closer. We looked at each other the whole time.

Because of the panic, it's hard to say how long I swam for, but it had to have been at least 5 minutes, probably less than 10 minutes, as fast as I could kick. At one point, I tried to make myself very big and kicked at it's face hoping to scare it, which probably also wasn't smart. It just kept following. I was getting to the point of exhaustion and potentially throwing up. I was starting to inhale water from my heavy breathing. The barracuda never struck but it also kept the same exact speed as me. If I sped up, it'd speed up too.

Finally, still a long ways from shore (the water was very choppy too), I realized the fins I was wearing were a dull silver and thought maybe the barracuda was attracted to them. So I took one off and threw it at the barracuda and it went after that instead, at which point, I was able to yell for help and two men on shore grabbed a kayak and paddled out to take me away. I threw my other fin at it for good measure.

So yeah, my question is, was I actually in any danger? Or was the barracuda just being curious? Was it the fins, or did me throwing the fin at it just distract it? What would yall do in this situation?

Thanks

Charlie,
I recall having similar encounters while snorkeling many years ago, well before getting into diving. For some reason, curious barracuda will stay close, if you turn, so will they.
After many years of diving, seeing lots of barracuda, in schools and as they often appear, just solitary, I've learned to relax and not feel threatened by them.

Even when hunting lionfish, I've encounter a curious barracuda or two, sometime they pass around for a second look, but in all honesty, I've overcome the fear of them with time.

I don't think they are going to strike, unless you have fish on you from spear fishing.

In all these years of diving, there was once a little barracuda, just about 2 feet long, that got very curious and actually took a swipe at a divers fin, just in from of me. This happened in Cozumel. When we got back on the boat, my buddy and I mentioned the incident to the diver. He reported having felt something on his fins, but there was noting to show as far as a bite, nor anything like that.

We all joked about the incident, an someone suggested he switch from clear fins for ones that had darker colors.

I doubt that the barracuda was after you, but believe it was curious and concerned about your presence, just as you were about it.

Enjoy snorkeling and if you dive, enjoy that too.

Cheers,
Ricardo

Thanks Ricardo,

Yeah, like I said, I've dove with them many times, and have been back in the water with them since. That was just the only time I ever felt uncomfortable by one. I think it was how close it was following me and how there were no other fish visible for a while. I had also read that they're more likely to be aggressive in warmer water or during mating season.

So would you say that swimming away quickly was a bad idea? And in the future, just be calm?

Charlie,
Good to hear you've been diving since, and had no concerns. I would not qualify it as a bad idea, more like unnecessary reaction and would say I agree with you that staying calm is the way to go.
Cheers,
Ricardo

We had a couple of barracuda follow us around while shore diving off Grand Turk this month. Nothing threatening, but I could see how I might have felt differently about the situation had I been snorkeling rather than diving.

Thanks for posting this!

When I read your description, the thought that went through my head was "What made him so concerned?" Possibly the worst thing about the encounter was that you got panicked or maybe you would say "quite anxious"? Then you started to inhale water. Not good.

I have seen quite a few schools of barracuda, usually up near the surface, and they always seemed calm as I had looked at their teeth, and I'm thinking "I could see why people get upset about them" -- but does anyone know if their natural behavior is ever aggressive?

- Bill

I know that barracudas are attracted by shiny objects, and in most cases it is not a good advice swimming/snorkelling/diving/frolicking with jewels, earrings, necklace, etc...
I remember a couple of years ago a guy swimming somewhere in the Mediterranean died because a single barracuda attacked him trying to eat is necklace...

Same as with a curious dog. Don't run away from them! My guess is that he was following you in order to bring you saflly back to the beach in case of drowning :cheers:

In my personal experience it is very common for barracuda to follow divers. I have had large individuals follow me around for 20-30 minutes at a time.

I have wondered if perhaps they had been fed a tasty lion fish at some point and now associate divers with food, but that’s pure speculation.

Out of well over 100 dives where barracuda were around, on only one occasion have I ever seen even a glimpse of what might be described as an aggressive display - it was a smaller fish, and was being pursued by a diver with a video camera, and the barracuda was clearly annoyed by persistent diver and camera, finally turning suddenly and lunging toward the camera with an unmistakable jaw snap that clearly conveyed a “back off!” message.

I’ve never heard of an incident where a diver who was not spearfishing had any kind of negative interaction with a barracuda. I’ve heard of fishermen being bitten, but never a diver.

Anyone heard any credible stories of a barracuda attacking a diver?

There is nothing in the description of your story to even remotely suggest a near attack by a barracuda.

Seems to me it was nothing more than a curious fish, the rest of it was mind games.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom