2017 SCUBA Show - Long Beach, CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Optical Ocean Sales will be there! - Booth 403-405
Underwater Photo Gear

We'll see you next weekend at the Scuba Show 2017 - at the Long Beach Convention Center! Booth 403-405, same as last year! We've got lots of new gear and great deals as always! Looking forward to seeing all our customers! Please note: our retail Seattle store will be closed next Friday & Sat, May 5-6th.

18157056_10156054730524112_4429379649070933897_n.jpg

I will be there on Saturday as a first-timer. I am excited for a big SCUBA weekend for me with the show on Saturday and a 3 tank trip to the West side of Catalina (my first Catalina dive experience)

Anyone planning to do a SB meetup during the show?

Optical Ocean Sales will be there! - Booth 403-405
Underwater Photo Gear

We'll see you next weekend at the Scuba Show 2017 - at the Long Beach Convention Center! Booth 403-405, same as last year! We've got lots of new gear and great deals as always! Looking forward to seeing all our customers! Please note: our retail Seattle store will be closed next Friday & Sat, May 5-6th.

Looking forward to stopping by your booth. Although it's my 3rd time at the Show, this is the first year where my focus is on underwater photography. Just updated my system, so I'm looking for tips and tricks, and maybe some cool accessories is the deals are right. :)

I will be there on Saturday as a first-timer. I am excited for a big SCUBA weekend for me with the show on Saturday and a 3 tank trip to the West side of Catalina (my first Catalina dive experience)

Anyone planning to do a SB meetup during the show?

I guess I answered my question -- you are going. I have my "high priority" booths marked on a map of the convention center. Too funny -- I'm really looking forward to it. I'm on a mission -- having fun getting information :)

I guess I answered my question -- you are going. I have my "high priority" booths marked on a map of the convention center. Too funny -- I'm really looking forward to it. I'm on a mission -- having fun getting information :)
What booths are on your hit list? I'm curious what's on your list of things to consider for gear!

Most things you probably have and already have tried out many before you purchased; masks and fins. I like the low profile of the Atomics Aquatics Frameless 2 mask -- I really need to see if it's worth the money and of course, the fit -- comfort is number one for me -- I like floating and feeling comfy. I'm also torn between computers. I've been working with computers for a very long time so a very cool computer that I can grow into is high on my priority list -- love my techie toys and I'm not going to skimp here -- I'm good with solid quality and good price but not with making due when I can have better. Sherwood makes one I like and it isn't on the high end -- another one I really liked, Atomic Aquatics Cobalt, got some very bad reviews on amazon due to numerous problems so I ditched that one quickly :) It was very pricey too. Oceanic and Suunto are on my list to look at. I lived in the middle of corn fields for a long time so I'm a reasonably good navigator (although no sun or stars under the water :) )-- I like the computers that you can attach a compass to -- I like to know that if I'm in an unfamiliar place it doesn't matter because I can navigate my way -- but I'm not opposed to a strictly digital compass if it's a good quality. It seems a lot of divers wear a backup computer on their wrist -- that's concerning. Such an important piece of equipment shouldn't be prone to failure...

Most things you probably have and already have tried out many before you purchased; masks and fins. I like the low profile of the Atomics Aquatics Frameless 2 mask -- I really need to see if it's worth the money and of course, the fit -- comfort is number one for me -- I like floating and feeling comfy. I'm also torn between computers. I've been working with computers for a very long time so a very cool computer that I can grow into is high on my priority list -- love my techie toys and I'm not going to skimp here -- I'm good with solid quality and good price but not with making due when I can have better. Sherwood makes one I like and it isn't on the high end -- another one I really liked, Atomic Aquatics Cobalt, got some very bad reviews on amazon due to numerous problems so I ditched that one quickly :) It was very pricey too. Oceanic and Suunto are on my list to look at. I lived in the middle of corn fields for a long time so I'm a reasonably good navigator (although no sun or stars under the water :) )-- I like the computers that you can attach a compass to -- I like to know that if I'm in an unfamiliar place it doesn't matter because I can navigate my way -- but I'm not opposed to a strictly digital compass if it's a good quality. It seems a lot of divers wear a backup computer on their wrist -- that's concerning. Such an important piece of equipment shouldn't be prone to failure...

You should also take a look at Shearwater - they'll be at the show. They have some great computers that fit what you are looking for and some have user replaceable batteries. As for Suuntos, all of the Zoops/Zoop Novos/Vypers/Vyper Airs can drop into a console with the compass and are modular with the SPG or you can wear them separately on your wrist, clip to your BC, etc. The digital compasses on the Suuntos are not as good as their analog (traditional) counterparts. However, I have to RAVE at how good the digital compass is on the Shearwater Perdix that I got to play with - it's as good as the real deal.

For Suunto, their hose integrated is the Cobra (similar to the Atomi Cobalt). Overall, I do like the Suuntos because they have wide distribution and therefore a lot of place to repair and troubleshoot, especially when abroad. If you travel and dive, many instructors and DMs/dive shops know how to use it and can help if there are any issues. People do complain that it is a more conservative algorithm which you can also tweak a bit, but overall it is still more conservative than other dive computers. I don't have a problem with it but others do so just something to keep in mind. I like how intuitive it is - the best ones are ones I don't have to read a manual for and know how to use.

Let me know if you want another eye while you're checking out stuff. :) Just computers and personal (mask and fins)? Are you looking at any BCs and regs?

You should also take a look at Shearwater - they'll be at the show. They have some great computers that fit what you are looking for and some have user replaceable batteries. As for Suuntos, all of the Zoops/Zoop Novos/Vypers/Vyper Airs can drop into a console with the compass and are modular with the SPG or you can wear them separately on your wrist, clip to your BC, etc. The digital compasses on the Suuntos are not as good as their analog (traditional) counterparts. However, I have to RAVE at how good the digital compass is on the Shearwater Perdix that I got to play with - it's as good as the real deal.

For Suunto, their hose integrated is the Cobra (similar to the Atomi Cobalt). Overall, I do like the Suuntos because they have wide distribution and therefore a lot of place to repair and troubleshoot, especially when abroad. If you travel and dive, many instructors and DMs/dive shops know how to use it and can help if there are any issues. People do complain that it is a more conservative algorithm which you can also tweak a bit, but overall it is still more conservative than other dive computers. I don't have a problem with it but others do so just something to keep in mind. I like how intuitive it is - the best ones are ones I don't have to read a manual for and know how to use.

Let me know if you want another eye while you're checking out stuff. :) Just computers and personal (mask and fins)? Are you looking at any BCs and regs?

Yes I'm looking at all of them and I would love to get your input. Regulators -- I may be in over my head (pun intended) with those. I believe servicing is something I need to look at in addition to comfort and reliability. I liked the adjustments you can make on that regulator and I like the smaller ones -- I may not talk a lot underwater but I would prefer not carry something heavy in my mouth. For fit and comfort I believe the Scuba Pro MK21/C350 Regulator got very good reviews from a couple of independent reviewers -- smaller size, comfort, reliability etc., but I'm not sure about the servicing requirements for regulators -- how often, how much, who, etc. I'm always concerned with who is reviewing a product for obvious reasons so I did see a couple of reviewers recommendations. I have Scuba Pro on my list.

outofofficebrb, Shearwater computers look very cool -- love the larger display -- good reviews on the ones I looked at. It was just a quick look but they are now on my list -- very high on my list :) I like 'em, thank you very much for the tip.

I'm fascinated by the Shearwater Perdix A1. I found a very good video on youtube: Thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom