2017 SCUBA Show - Long Beach, CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be stuck in my tropical prison in Key Largo this year. I'll dive in the show's honor.

I'll be stuck in my tropical prison in Key Largo this year. I'll dive in the show's honor.

Damn... sorry I won't be seeing you here this year, Pete

Damn... sorry I won't be seeing you here this year, Pete
I'll miss you too, my friend.

I've been to the Scuba Show almost every year since the mid-1990's. Back then it was held in the Queen Mary, which was a very cool but cramped venue. I have a favorite memory from those days: I remember walking into the show and seeing Richard Blade, the former KROQ radio DJ, in a booth. KROQ was a very popular radio station, and Richard Blade was very famous around So Cal. He is also an avid diver, and did voice-overs in the PADI training videos. He is a really nice guy and loves to talk about diving. As a new diver and music lover I was thrilled to meet him. I wish him the best.

It was an awesome show! I couldn't resist this sticker because I keep seeing "Angelfish" under my name on Scuba Board
Angelfish_zpsjwsnerin.jpg

Loads of other goodies -- I didn't buy this years T shirt, I went for the left over 2015 show shirt because it had a cool orange fish with a cool caption: "Divers see the world a little differently". Everyone was giving out bags. Bags are a big deal in CA right now because EVERYONE, including WalMart, charge for bags (new state law). Now I have to buy trash bags (I used the grocery bags for trash) so it didn't help the planet one bit.

Scuba%20Goodies_zpsmnjjhfrb.jpg

The kids absolutely loved the dive pool.

ScubaShowPool_zps0uj9vhov.jpg

It was an awesome show! I couldn't resist this sticker because I keep seeing "Angelfish" under my name on Scuba Board
View attachment 408706

Loads of other goodies -- I didn't buy this years T shirt, I went for the left over 2015 show shirt because it had a cool orange fish with a cool caption: "Divers see the world a little differently". Everyone was giving out bags. Bags are a big deal in CA right now because EVERYONE, including WalMart, charge for bags (new state law). Now I have to buy trash bags (I used the grocery bags for trash) so it didn't help the planet one bit.

View attachment 408707

The kids absolutely loved the dive pool.

View attachment 408708

What did you decide gear-wise? Get to see anything good or play with anything?

What did you decide gear-wise? Get to see anything good or play with anything?

Yes I decided on most of my gear -- I wrote in another post I loved the Zeagle Zena, but it was actually the Ranger. Now I'm trying to decide between the ranger and the ranger ltd. I've been looking at so many things I can't keep them straight; I have to write everything down. Definitely the Shearwater Perdix Ai computer. Thanks so much for telling me about that. It really is the best computer I found a mask I really like. The one I originally had my eye on didn't fit. One thing I still haven't found is fins. I'm having a tough time finding a good comfortable fit. I tried them on with their rubber bottom sock/boot. The rubber makes it too hard to put fins on. I couldn't try on the Aqualung SolAfx 7mm wetsuit, but I do like it. I'll order it and hope it fits. It was a very good day. I had so much fun. I didn't see you there -- but then I was so overwhelmed at all the cool stuff I couldn't see much of anything :) Did you see anything you liked?

This was my first scuba show, and once I navigated the f***ed up parking situation at the Long Beach Convention Center garage, I actually enjoyed myself for a few hours. Got to visit with my friend "Memo" Mendoza at the Aldora booth,and met Mary Weller who helped me sort out a problem getting on the same boat with my buddies at Little Cayman. Grabbed all the brochures I could fit in my sturdy blue plastic Aggressor fleet tote bag,and checked out a few Big Blue dive lights. All-in-all, a positive experience on an otherwise gloomy and drizzly California afternoon.

This was my first scuba show, and once I navigated the f***ed up parking situation at the Long Beach Convention Center garage, I actually enjoyed myself for a few hours. Got to visit with my friend "Memo" Mendoza at the Aldora booth,and met Mary Weller who helped me sort out a problem getting on the same boat with my buddies at Little Cayman. Grabbed all the brochures I could fit in my sturdy blue plastic Aggressor fleet tote bag,and checked out a few Big Blue dive lights. All-in-all, a positive experience on an otherwise gloomy and drizzly California afternoon.

LOL -- Once my navigation got me to the street with garage entry I moved over to the slow lane and crept along because it was messed up. My slow speed annoyed the people who had "been there and done that" but my out-of-state car plates kept them from flipping me the bird. Being a CA girl I know CA drivers and they are ALWAYS in a hurry. The map of booths was wrong too -- close but wrong. When I entered I looked for the booths that were SUPPOSED to be on the end so I could get my bearings, but they weren't where they were supposed to be. I asked the people in the booth what was going on and I figured it out; found my way around nicely after that. I was sad I didn't have a designated driver -- everyone had a beer in their hand but me :wink:

I'm glad I went just to check it out. It's great if you don't have any gear or want to learn more about specific resorts, liveaboards, or trips, many of which had show specials. It was a bit underwhelming for me since I'm a gear junkie but maybe that's why I should go to DEMA instead - once I get my DM cert. :)

I'm glad to hear fun was had!

Back
Top Bottom