2018 mini season. One down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 2018 mini season is July 25-26, isn't it?
Did it pass without loss? That would be nice, but unusual.

No losses during Miniseason proper. Way fewer divers than in previous years. Something like 50% of 2012. Just another indication of our industry.

On Wednesday we were heading out Crescent and Arnos Reefs for the two dives of the day. Going under Overseas Hwy at Indian Key Channel (I believe), there were divers with a buoy in the channel. I at least hope they got bugs because it looked dumb as heck to me. The best part was when the Captain throttled back to go by the bouy at an idle, his radio was playing Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' "Don't Do Me Like That"

Don't do me like that
Don't do me like that
Baby, baby, baby
Don't, don't, don't............

I got to see some big bugs, but Wed and Thurs, we only dove in sanctuary areas (ignorant about the specifics of what that meant) and mostly avoided the traffic. Although Wednesday we did a snorkel stop at Alligator Reef Light. One boat had anchored on the reef about 20 feet from a mooring ball. Apparently it was too far of a swim from their honey hole.

I can see the lobsters partying after hearing that news.
A significant percentage of the Key's lobsters go to China on contract. Many of those contracts are on hold because of the new tariffs. Maine has seen a 50% price reduction already. The commercial guys are just getting on their feet after replacing all the thousands of dollars in equipment losses after hurricane Irma and it's really tough on them. If they stop putting down traps, you can also expect an explosion of lionfish, because they hauled them up from depths that divers don't go and were a significant effect on removing them. We'll see the preliminary numbers on each in December when they are released for Wave 5 calculations.

I also would not be surprised if there are a significant number of divers who decide to skip the insanity. I love lobster, but I'm also glad that I'm usually up in North Carolina trying to find a weather window for wreck diving at that time of year.

Back
Top Bottom