21% Nitrox on Mares M1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Maybe this is a no brainer. I know that if I make multiple dives, starting with EANx, and then switch to air, I set the M1 to EAN21 so as to continue to calculate PPO percentage. But lets say I have a week between dives (must be sick!), and dive straight air. Is there any reason not to just leave the M1 set at EAN21? Is there a valid reason to switch the setting back to "AIR"? Wouldn't NDLs be the same? Or am I missing something obvious here?

I think that the "Air" setting is there more for CYA in the event that a non-nitrox diver uses the computer.

NDLs and whatnot should be the same, but I've never compared them.

Peter

Not sure about Mares, but with my Suunto... the limits are all the same, but the display changes slightly (in AIR it doesn't display any O2 info ... probably so as not to confuse non-nitrox trained divers).

I turned air off on my mosquito and just use the EAN, whether diving air or nitrox. No difference.

Rick Inman:
Maybe this is a no brainer. I know that if I make multiple dives, starting with EANx, and then switch to air, I set the M1 to EAN21 so as to continue to calculate PPO percentage. But lets say I have a week between dives (must be sick!), and dive straight air. Is there any reason not to just leave the M1 set at EAN21? Is there a valid reason to switch the setting back to "AIR"? Wouldn't NDLs be the same? Or am I missing something obvious here?

No difference between AIR and EAN21 on the M1. It's just there to account for when you dive nitrox and air on the same days just as you describe. The M1 will give you the same bottom time for both settings. It will however show up as a Nitrox dive in the electronic log book when you download the dives.

pt40fathoms:
No difference between AIR and EAN21 on the M1. It's just there to account for when you dive nitrox and air on the same days just as you describe. The M1 will give you the same bottom time for both settings. It will however show up as a Nitrox dive in the electronic log book when you download the dives.
Good info, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom