247 Feet -- "We can't stay here for very long"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I envy the simplicity of those old rigs... I recently watched part of a Cousteau film where they emerge from the water and easily casually sling their very simple rigs to the boat deck and I gotta say that looks like a lot more fun than being burdened with a ton of complex gear. The white cotton straps on my new “FrankenBC” are a reference to that. I was thinking... could I do that? Like if I went solo shore diving in say 25-30 feet of water, with the surface as my redundancy, do I need a pony, an octo, or a bc, or a computer?

I envy the simplicity of those old rigs... I recently watched part of a Cousteau film where they emerge from the water and easily casually sling their very simple rigs to the boat deck and I gotta say that looks like a lot more fun than being burdened with a ton of complex gear. The white cotton straps on my new “FrankenBC” are a reference to that. I was thinking... could I do that? Like if I went solo shore diving in say 25-30 feet of water, with the surface as my redundancy, do I need a pony, an octo, or a bc, or a computer?
The best diver I know dives routinely to 160' plus with an AL80, no BCD, no computer, no octo, and usually has to decompress before coming up, often 3 times a day. He has been doing it for 25 years or so. He talks about someday getting an OW card.

The best diver I know dives routinely to 160' plus with an AL80, no BCD, no computer, no octo, and usually has to decompress before coming up, often 3 times a day. He has been doing it for 25 years or so. He talks about someday getting an OW card.
Whoa... commercial diver?

I don’t get it

Whoa... commercial diver?
Fisherman. And he loves to dive. Nothing I like better than to go with him. He backs way off on max depths. I use big nitrox tanks. Some dives I can almost keep up if he slows down enough.

how does he plan his decompression?

They seem to do it by guessing based on prior experience. If they get symptoms they learn to stay down longer. When a tank runs out while decompressing they signal to a snorkeler above and he yells for the boat to bring a rigged tank. They usually breathe the tanks until the yokes can be removed without bleeding the regulators. He carries a watch and a depth gauge.

I dove with him once to 90-95 feet with me on nitrox and him and another guy on air. We were down 35+ minutes pulling out lobster. He was not happy when I slowly ascended to 15 feet and did a long safety stop as they hung below. On the boat he was surprised that I didn't have any pain.

Now they use nitrox as much as they can while decompressing and they feel a lot better at the end of the day.

In January I went with them but didn't dive. We were about 25 miles north of Cancun, alone, out of sight of land in a boat 24 feet long and 6 feet wide in big waves, and they go diving.

Wow, that is amazing!

One thing I’ve learned on Scubaboard, diving is a lot more diverse than I would have imagined.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom