24p, 30p, 60i, Pro-Cinema, 4:3, 16:9? - What's your mode?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miket

Reaction score
Curious to what modes people use for your filming.

My camera offers: 4x3 (normal) interlaced, 4x3 (normal) frame mode, 16x9 (wide) interlaced, 16x9 (wide) frame mode, and 16x9 pro-cinema mode (wide, frame mode)

I always use the anamorphic 16:9 format.

Most of my videos have been filmed at the standard 60i format (60 fps interlaced), but my last video was filmed in my cameras Pro Cinema modes. I like the results.

My Panasonic GS-400 has a mode called Pro-Cinema or something, according to the website:

Pro-Cinema Mode

Theatre movies are generally filmed at 24 frames per second (fps). The GS400's Pro-Cinema mode shoots at a close 25 fps to give you movie-like motion.

Procinema mode is simply anamorphic widescreen, Frame Mode, and adjustments to the gamma of the recorded video. The cadence of the video (frame rate) and the picture adjustments make the video look more "film-like."

This video was filmed in 16:9 60i mode -- This video was filmed in 16:9 Pro-Cinema mode

Both dives had similar conditions, sunny, same depth, 20-30 foot vis.

I really like the Pro-Cinema look, I have also had more positive response to this video than my previous ones.

What have other people here used, what do you like, etc?

- MikeT

I like using 16:9 (although that and 4:3 are the only options in my camera). I like the 16:9 because it gives you that extra bit of width. Also, when you're watching it on a TV, there isn't any of the picture cropped out at the top or bottom because there are just black bars there anyway.

Hi Mike, I have the same camera and housing as yours and I've switched to using the Pro-Cinema mode recently. I personally like the results as well but I read somewhere that the video will have a degradation in quality when using this mode due to the additional application of the "pro-cinema" effect during capture. But then again, I don't really notice this - unless of course I analyze frame-by-frame :) Overall, I like that film-like appearance.

Anamorphic 16x9 is the way to go. The cinema style results are nice looking, but I prefer something more closely matched to the intended output medium. Since I doubt I'll ever be showing any of my stuff in a formal movie theatre, I prefer 60i or 30p. Makes things easiest for display on a television.

dang mikeT.... they're BOTH drop dead gorgeous... sorry that doesn't help your question, but from what i'm seeing... i wouldn't worry about it.....

are we getting to a point where widescreen televisions are commonplace yet? I wonder how long it will be before 4:3 is the exception rather than the rule.

PeaceDog:
are we getting to a point where widescreen televisions are commonplace yet? I wonder how long it will be before 4:3 is the exception rather than the rule.
We're already there in my house, so the sooner the better!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom