25% off on any Carbon Monoxide device at Sensorcon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are your objections to the bag method based on accuracy, convenience, something else?
The bag trick is a low budget approach. There are easier, better, and more accurate tank testers if you want to spend the money. If you don't, the bag trick will prevent you from dying from CO and the coroner writing you off as drowning from diver error.

If you use the bag trick, get the freezer quality for durability, I like the Slider handles for ease of closing, pack enough bags for at least one a day, and take two on the boat as they develop leaks.

I don't like the gallon bag idea, but I'm thinking of something like this:
That might work altho it's more to carry around than a bag. Too much pressure on the sensor may give false positives tho.

Are your objections to the bag method based on accuracy, convenience, something else?
curious to learn more about the bag approach

curious to learn more about the bag approach
What's to learn? It's a rather simple approach. It won't be totally accurate as you'll get some ambient air in there too, but it'll give you a ballpark idea - enough prevent you from diving a dangerous tank. Checking tank are tank can get boring when you keep getting clean ones until you get your first dangerous one, then it all makes sense.

Hey Dandy,
How likely is it to damage the meter if one were to either attach a hose or just hold the meter hole or hose against the valve and gently open it? Or is it an accuracy question more than damage? I’m assuming you considered other options before settling on the bag method. Does anyone have a target cfm for best accuracy with the meter?

Thanks for turning us on to the discount. Mine is on the way. Can’t wait to test a bunch of stuff (and scuba tanks). I wonder how much CO is in bottom gas. . . .

How likely is it to damage the meter if one were to either attach a hose or just hold the meter hole or hose against the valve and gently open it? Or is it an accuracy question more than damage?
Either is possible depending on how you open the valve. I'll never forget the time I stuck a bag with a smaller CO tester (a brand I since rejected) over a valve while the boat was moving, turned the sticky valve on, and the bag with meter flew out of the boat. We retrieved it before it sank.

A dome air restrictor from an Analox Oxygen meter would probably work best, and the holes are the same size so one would fit.

I wonder how much CO is in bottom gas.
What's bottom gas?

Taco Tuesday

Back
Top Bottom