28° is hot or cold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your answers are just the ones I needed, diversified!
Some time ago I had to wear a 5mm, then another and ended up in 11mm!!! (the water temperature was 18° C) + gloves + hood. As you see, I've a tendency to chill, so tis time I'm taking some precautions... my suit consists of a jacket and a pant, so if this too much, I'll take no pants, and open my jacket.
Thanks for all the inputs!
Karen

Karen Es:
Your answers are just the ones I needed, diversified!
Some time ago I had to wear a 5mm, then another and ended up in 11mm!!! (the water temperature was 18° C) + gloves + hood. As you see, I've a tendency to chill, so tis time I'm taking some precautions... my suit consists of a jacket and a pant, so if this too much, I'll take no pants, and open my jacket.
Thanks for all the inputs!
Karen
Okay, as I mentioned - ladies tend to chill more easily, and it seems this does indeed apply to you. Since you have the 2-piece 7 mil (what some call the Farmer John), you can always dive with the jacket only - adding the bottoms if you get chilled. :thumb:

I was recently diving in 28C water (78F by my calculations). I was in a 3/2, and was a little chilly on my second dive. I'm used to cold water diving (50-55F in a 7mm), but I would have liked to have had a two-piece, or a vest.

I can't imagine diving 28C in a 7 mm. My exposure protection for that temp is a t-shirt even doing multiple dives but I have seen people wearing 7 mm for that temp. They probably gave me the same look that I gave them.

28c is warm water. 7mm suit should be ok. Personally in that temperature id wear a full length 5mm semi dry. If it gets too warm (unlikely) just flush it with some water.

I wouldnt do a series of dives in that temp in less than a 5mm.

joeabroad:
I was recently diving in 28C water (78F by my calculations). I was in a 3/2, and was a little chilly on my second dive. I'm used to cold water diving (50-55F in a 7mm), but I would have liked to have had a two-piece, or a vest.
28C is 82.4F according to this site: http://www.stabb.com/tools/convert.html

Some of this will vary with how warm you are on surface intervals, wind on wet hair, whether you drink warm or cold liquids, etc. For a lady who chills easily, I suggest a solid cap on SIs with warm liquids.

Constantly amazed at the variability in requirements for exposure. 4 dives a day in 26 C water in a 1 mil shorty and I get a little cool on the last dive and want a hot shower. In a 7 mil at 28 I would cook.

You don't want to dive up here 6 to 8 C any wetsuit is cold at depth.

our warmest months will bring the water up to 28* (84*f) and many DM's wear a 7mil here. So if you chill easy... dont feel bad about staying warm. My last boat dive, water was 79*, I was in my DS, the guy next to me in swim trunks... we were both happy, and everyone thought we were both crazy :wink:

Have fun :)

Aloha, Tim

Was just in 28 C water in jamaica. I was wearing a 3/2 fullsuit, and I had the most exposure protection of anyone on the boat.

I did a night dive in Thailand in 28°C, wearing a 3mm shorty that was way too big for me and loose. I was nice and toasty. The DM leading the dive was chilly though.
During the day I would be hot so I'd get into the water... where I didn't cool off at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom